from panther to tiger on an 867.....

Hombre

Registered
I have a G4 quicksilver 867 which I currently run 9.1 on one HD and 10.3 on the other.

I also have a Dual PPC G5 2.5 that I run 10.4.11 on.

I have been told that I cannot use the software from my dual G5 to install onto my G4, since a 'special' form of 10.4 is used on the G5 that is incompatible with the G4.

Sho nuff...I done tried it and it don't werk.

I have several questions then.

1. Do I need to buy another 10.4 Tiger software package, or is it a question of needing new 'firmware' for my G4 to run it?

2. Perhaps it is both, but if it is only firmware, what version, number, etc. do I need to download from apple to make the switch?

3. I am also considering ramping up the speed of my 867 with a dual 1.8 Newer Tech Maxpower processor....how would this affect the issue of which Tiger version software I would use, and does anyone have any ideas pro or con on these processors or any other issues I might encounter with one ( like video card problems etc. ) ?

1. Yes, you need to buy a separate Mac OS X retail box.
2. It is not.
3. Maxxing out RAM would be a better choice, as processor hacks can cause the life of the Mac to shorten.

3) Upgrading your processor is not a "hack" and will not cause the lifespan of the Mac to shorten, unless you install it improperly or there is some hardware fault with the processor upgrade.

Upgrading the processor also has no bearing on what versions of 10.4 you can run on the system.

Back