From Win XP Pro ----> Mac OSX ...questions / help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Moran

Registered
Hi All,

I am soon to start a 3d animation course using Maya v5, and the whole course is on Mac OSX ... i have never used a Mac and have used windows for 15 years .... (pity me the n00bie ;))

So, i have a few basic questions that i am hoping you can help me with...

- Task / Application switching ... in Windows it is simply Alt -> Tab, what is the OSX equivelant?

- Is NuBus a mac hardware expansion bus ?

- Keyboard shortcuts to recover from system crashes etc ?

- Adding and Removing software ?? Is there a utility for this as appossed to letting software auto run etc..

Cheers for your help!! heres to the learning curve ::ha::

Command-Tab
No, PCI or PCI-X if you have a higher end G5
Option-Command-Esc will bring up a lost of applications and allow you to force quit them.
Many programs come on a disk image and it's just a matter of dragging the icon into your applications folder. To remove this type just drag it into the trash. Other programs use the systems installer. Some programs have an un-install option

thanks mate :)

So, on the add/remove programs question...in OSX is there a central place for handling installing/uninstalling of software ??

Thanks again

Paul

No, thank goodness. Some programs come in disk images, often downloaded from the 'Net, and all you do is launch the image and drag the application package (a single, simple icon :)) to wherever you want it. Other, more advanced programs like Photoshop have an installer program on the CD, which you simply run. And usually to uninstall, you simply delete the application folder (or icon, if it lacks one).

I recommend you check out
for more information.

Actually, there is the Installer program, which installs applications from .pkg package files, but it doesn't uninstall and it doesn't mess with anything but package files.

Most programs have the .dmg, disk image file. Click it, and then drag the program (opens in a new window) to your user/Applications folder. Uninstall with those programs installed from disk image: drag to trash (empty the trash). Done. Easy, isn't it?

Some programs; AppleWorks, Photoshop, Keynote etc have the installer. Those give also you how to uninstalll them. some with installer, some just trash.

Switching applications is fast with the dock.

I hope you enjoy the Mac world. :)

thanks alot guys for your help ;) ..im an avid windows user, but i have a very open mind...lets see what these Macs are all about ;)

Cheers
Paul

They are about the best computing you'll ever have. :D

An avid Windows user, or a Windows Avid user?...

actually windows users think it's better to have a central place to install and unistall everything.

the reason for this? Windows Explorer. It is the worst peice of software junk u've ever seen. No one is comfortable with it and it hurts the eye. The Finder on the other hand is __always__ used. The main reason for this... it never get's in ur way and of course does not hurt the eye.

And they cannot do otherwise! They MUST use the Add/Remove Control Panel :rolleyes: or the Uninstall/Remove application because apps do not get deleted if you just move them to the Recycle Bin and then Empty it...

They could even get crashes for doing such a thing! :p

So, actually it is not a matter of them thinking that it's better to do so... They cannot do otherwise! ::ha::

> - Is NuBus a mac hardware expansion bus ?

NuBus where once used in Mac's , in the pre-PCI era, but that was way back before the PowerPC. Over 10 years ago.

Originally posted by wiz
actually windows users think it's better to have a central place to install and unistall everything.

the reason for this? Windows Explorer. It is the worst peice of software junk u've ever seen. No one is comfortable with it and it hurts the eye. The Finder on the other hand is __always__ used. The main reason for this... it never get's in ur way and of course does not hurt the eye.

I am very comfortable in the Windows Explorer for file management. In fact I think there are some things that the Finder could learn from it.

Originally posted by hazmat
I am very comfortable in the Windows Explorer for file management. In fact I think there are some things that the Finder could learn from it.

Like? :confused:

- overall speed - scrolling in the Finder is pathetically sluggish until you've gone through the whole listing

- CUT

- the context menu from right button dragging to allow you to Copy, Move, Create Shortcut, or Cancel

- Send To submenu in the context menus

To name a few....

- overall speed - scrolling in the Finder is pathetically sluggish until you've gone through the whole listing

This isn't a Finder VS Explorer thing... It is QE VS GDI ;) Or modern GUI VS Dinosaur GUI :p Could you say the same thing comparing the Finder of OS9 against Windows Explore? :D

- CUT

Cut+some additional clicks to go where you wanna go+Paste... Nah! I prefer Click&Hold, Command(Apple key) then drag, wait for Spring Folders, Drop... Simpler, faster, cooler ;)

- the context menu from right button dragging to allow you to Copy, Move, Create Shortcut, or Cancel

Which you can use ONLY in folders/desktop/windows you already see, and not deeper... Still, I prefer Click&Hold, Command(Apple key) --or Option or Option+Command-- then drag, wait for Spring Folders, Drop... Simpler, faster, cooler ;)

You mean something like the attached picture? ;)

To name a few....

Continue naming ;)

Attachments

• context.jpg
    context.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 12
I like how you can option-drag to create a duplicate, or Cmd-option-drag to create an alias, and then drop it anywhere, without having to make a duplicate or a new alias, move it, then rename it to take "copy" out of the filename.

Originally posted by hulkaros

This isn't a Finder VS Explorer thing... It is QE VS GDI ;) Or modern GUI VS Dinosaur GUI :p Could you say the same thing comparing the Finder of OS9 against Windows Explore? :D

I couldn't tell you about OS 9. I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.
I think it's one of the biggest steaming piles of crap of an OS that
I ever saw.

- CUT

Cut+some additional clicks to go where you wanna go+Paste... Nah! I prefer Click&Hold, Command(Apple key) then drag, wait for Spring Folders, Drop... Simpler, faster, cooler ;)

So right click and select Cut and then go where you want to go (where you would have anyway
with spring-loaded folders and then hit Paste, or use all sorts of keyboard combos to do
the same thing. You said "I prefer". This is completely personal preference on your part. Are you saying because
YOU find this the best way (probably because this is how you're used to it) that no one else
should be allowed to do it another if they are more comfortable like that?

Which you can use ONLY in folders/desktop/windows you already see, and not deeper... Still, I prefer Click&Hold, Command(Apple key) --or Option or Option+Command-- then drag, wait for Spring Folders, Drop... Simpler, faster, cooler ;)

When was the last time you used Windows? At least Win2k and XP's directories in Windows Explorer act
spring-loaded. So you think all that you mentioned is easier than simply dragging something with the right
mouse button and then choosing whether you want to Copy, Move, Create Shortcut, or Cancel is not as simple,
fast, or cool? I think not. Again personal preference.

You mean something like the attached picture? ;)

No. It would be more like Open With, but you can put whatever you want into it.
So I could put TextEdit in it, for example, so I could open whatever I want in it.

But you can put any program into Open With! You might have to navigate a little if the program doesn't show, but you can still do it.

I can certainly see advantages to cut+paste files. You can get rid of some files from a certain directory, then do some other stuff, and the files will stay in memory until you paste them in. And you don't have to be able to see the window you want to move them to for drag'n'drop.

I couldn't tell you about OS 9. I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.
I think it's one of the biggest steaming piles of crap of an OS that
I ever saw.

I wasn't talking about OS 9 VS Windows :mad: I was talking about OS 9 GUI speed VS Windows GUI speed... But if you want to go there, how come and MS copied OS 9 functions THAT much if it was such a crappy OS? :D

So right click and select Cut and then go where you want to go (where you would have anyway
with spring-loaded folders and then hit Paste, or use all sorts of keyboard combos to do
the same thing. You said "I prefer". This is completely personal preference on your part. Are you saying because
YOU find this the best way (probably because this is how you're used to it) that no one else
should be allowed to do it another if they are more comfortable like that?

The part where you want to paste files/folders usually is loads of double clicks or at best loads of single clicks which are USELESS in Mac... You just wait and BOOM the Folders open AUTOMATICALLY... Want me to post a video or something in order for you to get it? :rolleyes: Have you EVER actually used a Mac for copying, moving, etc. files/folder? :rolleyes:

When was the last time you used Windows? At least Win2k and XP's directories in Windows Explorer act
spring-loaded. So you think all that you mentioned is easier than simply dragging something with the right
mouse button and then choosing whether you want to Copy, Move, Create Shortcut, or Cancel is not as simple,
fast, or cool? I think not. Again personal preference.

Unfortunately, I MUST use Windows (all versions) EVERY single day... I work as a Wintel/Mac tech... But the real question is: Are YOU using Windows at all? Windows DO NOT have Spring Loaded folders :p And at this point I think we passed the personal preference... It is simply a matter of elegance in simplicity (Mac) VS absolute stupidity (Windows) while copying, moving, etc. files/folders...

No. It would be more like Open With, but you can put whatever you want into it.
So I could put TextEdit in it, for example, so I could open whatever I want in it.

In the picture I posted did you notice the Move To, Copy To, Make Alias In, etc for crying out loud? Although, not a built in function for OS X, one can simply download these for free! Not to mention that you don't actually need them because you can Send To files/folders in Dock apps/folders :D

As for, I'm used in working with Macs: If that's a fact then Apple is truly the OS innovator for other companies to have as a VERY good example because I use Macs for only 2 years while I use Wintels from 1986 as well as various platforms and OSes and it is the only one that I enjoy using! The other 2 platforms that I enjoyed were Amiga and Acorn! :D

As for Arden:
"You can get rid of some files from a certain directory, then do some other stuff, and the files will stay in memory until you paste them in. And you don't have to be able to see the window you want to move them to for drag'n'drop."

Well, what's the difference of opening the folder you want to "clear" and then Drag & Drop things in it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back