Front Row no longer coming up

gwynarion

I stole the Sun
I have a new iMac (with the iSight built in) that I am in the process of setting up. When I was first playing around with it Front Row was running fine. Then, at some point, it stopped working. Neither the menu button on the remote nor Cmd+Esc will launch it. I've been trying to think what I might have done to cause this and I can't figure it out. The problem started around the same time as copying over the iTunes and iPhoto preferences from my old computer. Could that be it? At some point in that general time frame I also updated to 10.4.3. Hopefully someone here will be able to help me out with this as I would like to get Front Row back and working again.

gwynarion said:
I have a new iMac (with the iSight built in) that I am in the process of setting up. When I was first playing around with it Front Row was running fine. Then, at some point, it stopped working. Neither the menu button on the remote nor Cmd+Esc will launch it. I've been trying to think what I might have done to cause this and I can't figure it out. The problem started around the same time as copying over the iTunes and iPhoto preferences from my old computer. Could that be it? At some point in that general time frame I also updated to 10.4.3. Hopefully someone here will be able to help me out with this as I would like to get Front Row back and working again.

Much like reapplying a combo updater can fix some OS X System-Level issues, it's not a bad idea to download the Front Row 1.0.1 updater from Apple's site and reinstalling it. If anything's corrupt or missing, that might fix it.

sourcehound said:
Much like reapplying a combo updater can fix some OS X System-Level issues, it's not a bad idea to download the Front Row 1.0.1 updater from Apple's site and reinstalling it. If anything's corrupt or missing, that might fix it.
Thank you for the suggestion but I am afraid it did not work. In your opinion could overwriting the existing iPhoto and iTunes preferences have caused this sort of thing?

The problem ended up being the result of the 1GB RAM chip I had put into the computer. The RAM was from a third party, which I thought might have been the problem, but when I bought some from the local Apple Store after having completed reformatted everything the same problem came up. I don't know if this is something wrong with my particular iMac or with the machine in general. The solution ended up being to do a PMU reset, which is what I discovered by talking to a couple of the nice people at AppleCare.

Never underestimate how useful the AppleCare people can be.

P.S. Welsh first name - Irish quote! What does it mean (Leadraíonn an Mhór Ríoghain mo naimhde)?

Back