fsck problem

Nalmar

Registered
In single user mode, i did a few fsck and it doesn't fix my problem, it always report :

Missing thread record ( id = 2662642 )

Invalid volume file count
( it should be 253943 instead of 253944 )

Invalid volume file count
( it should be 253944 instead of 253943 )

It changes the file count and then changes it back to what it was. Running fsck another time report the same 3 messages. Someone has an idea what's going on ? is it a major problem ?

Yeah I'd call that a major problem.

Get TechTool Pro or Drive10 or Norton SystemWorks and boot from it (so you can unmount the hard disk) and run those and see if that helps.

Are you experiencing any problems using your computer? How did you come to run fsck (ex. your computer just crashed and you then ran it?)

yep... crash with a new message I never seen before... a very aquaish translucent window in the center of the screen with a background image looking like the power button saying that I need to restart my computer... it was after waking the computer from sleep.

I think my HD is dying.. also with a noise I haven't heard before. I'm a computer technician and I've seen hundreds of dying disks and this one is unique.

anyway... I'll try norton when I get a chance to boot os9

You're using Jag? This message, was it in many languages? If so that's a the new kernel panic...

The interesting thing about NSW is when you boot to OS9 from the CD, the problems it finds to do with the BSD system are not listed as major errors, even if they are so listed when booted from OS X.

Anyway, this is a major error, no matter if you're in Classic or X. I'd also suggest checking the physical media, just in case.

See if it'll fix it; good luck!

Back