G1: htc questions...

Ynought

Registered
I'm excited about the g1 (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/technology/internet/24google.html?hp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg; http://www.livecrunch.com/2008/08/27/htc-dream-g1-specs-and-review/)

I like the idea of an open platform and their support of mp3, wav, and ogg. I love my mac but have never owned an ipod. I purchased a touch and returned it soon thereafter. Don't get me wrong, i love my mac and would never, ever ever ever ever go back to a pc but for me, the sound quality of apple's portables is too poor. I currently have an iriver (h320) and like that.

In addition to the sound quality of apple's portables I don't like having preset equalizers instead of being able to adjust to my liking.

Finally, i had a hard time with the touch because pages reload and if you are not near a hotspot, your page will come up blank or 404 (or at least that was my experience).

This is not intended to be a ipod/iphone rant, i'm just expressing why I am excited about the g1.

My question is whether anyone has any idea of the sound quality of htc when it comes to audio files.

Oh the irony.

They tout an open platform and ship the phone with a proprietary headphone jack which works with (practically) nothing. Way to drop the ball Google.

Google had nothing to do with the hardware of the phone -- whether certain features or jacks were included or excluded -- they just wrote the software. HTC is to blame for any missing jacks or connectors.

Well, Apple kinda dropped the ball on the headphone jack the first time around as well. And Android will get more than just one mobile phone running it. However, I must say: You'll probably be able to use a nice pair of headphones with an adapter.

Talking about equalizer settings (instead of using the flat setting) and sound quality is a paradoxon in my view, btw.

Couldn't agree more -- the sound that is supposed to be heard from a source such as a CD, vinyl record or tape shouldn't be altered between the source and the speakers in the slightest. If your speakers are accurate and calibrated, then the sound coming out of them is the sound the artist intended you to hear.

Adding/removing bass, treble, high- and low-end is simply modifying the music from the way in which it was intended to sound. Since the artist intended the sound to come out of the speakers un-altered, it is, by definition, already "perfect." Any adjustments made to the sound pre-speaker would then be "imperfect."

Sure, it may sound better to you, but that's the same as saying the world looks better when the colors are altered by wearing tinted glasses.

Google had nothing to do with the hardware of the phone -- whether certain features or jacks were included or excluded -- they just wrote the software. HTC is to blame for any missing jacks or connectors.

Do you really think that Google had nothing to do with the design of the G1? Especially when it will be the first phone that will showcase their Android platform?

Do you really think that Google had nothing to do with the design of the G1? Especially when it will be the first phone that will showcase their Android platform?

Yup.

Android was showcased without being on an actual phone, much like the iPhone SDK allows you to do.

I mean, I'm sure Google had some feedback that may have swayed the design a little bit this way or that, but in terms of the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack, I believe they had absolutely zip, zilch, nada to do with that.

Interesting point in a Time article: Will Apple make the same mistakes with the iPhone against Google as it did with Macintosh against Windows...?

What mistakes were those? Failure to license hardware/software? Failure to negotiate cross-company collaboration (ie, the late coming of Office to Mac)?

In retrospect, I think some of the "mistakes" Apple was perceived of making in the past weren't actually mistakes in the long run. Licensing Apple hardware and software to companies like UMAX worked (or didn't work, whichever way you wanna look at it) for a short time, but in the long run, if Apple-licensed hardware had taken off like it did with Windows, perhaps Apple would be having the same problems today that Microsoft is having concerning drivers across thousands of platforms instead of being in tight control over how the hardware and software interacts.

Back