G4 10.3.9 Upgrade to 10.5 ?

Chasinspace

Registered
Hey all,
So yeah, I've still got my trusty old G4 powerbook with 10.3.9 and I've realised that it's about time to upgrade the O.S.
Now I've done my research as far as hardware compatibility goes and all the specs check out. I've also talked with the folks at the phone number for the apple store who said that it looked like everything checked out - she also put me on to one of their tech staff just to make sure, and he also said that everything should be o.k.
As a precaution and also 'cus it won't do any harm I've decided to boost the memory from the current 768mb to 1gb.
My question is has anyone here put 10.5 on a g4 powerbook? or gone from 10.3x to 10.5? If so what if any problems did you encounter?

10.3 and 10.5 are such different that I'd recommend doing a clean install of 10.5 instead, just to be on the safer side.
Backup all your data to some external HD or disk, install the new system, and import your old data.

I agree with the two. It should run ok however please be reminded that you are using the "minimum requirements" to run Leopard. So performance-wise its not that awesome. Yeah I would say ok but in the long run it will only pose problems since it is still PPC.

Get a new mac
1. Warranty + Phone support (nothing beats that)
2. this is the best part.... Snow Leopard. This puppy won't run in PPC

YOu may have noticed. Apple is slowly transitioning into Intel. Like I said, it is still your call but if you look at it in the long run. It really isn't good.

Thanks for all your responses.
Yeah I was planning a clean install.
I am currently saving up for a new machine (or Two!) But this old G4 is it for now and I'd like to keep it as fit and up to date as possible.
The max amount of memory this machine will take is 1.25Gb - Keeping in mind that it has 250Mb soldered in and one slot, that means that the 1GB of ram that I've ordered is all it will take.

New dilema! Now that the decision has pretty much been made my wife just came home from a friends and what does she have with her but a retail box of Tiger (OS 10.4) (loaned to her by her friend when she heard we were going to update our OS)
So the question now is: a free version of 10.4 or the $129.00 CAN. for 10.5
(given that I'd be running 10.5 at pretty close to the minimum requirements -I'm leaning toward 10.4)
What say you oh Learned Mac wizards?

Just to be clear these are the min Requirements for 10.5.4 from the Apple website: PowerPCG4 (867MHz or faster) processor
* 512MB of physical RAM
* DVD drive for installation
and this is what I have: PowerPC G4
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB (Increasing to 1GB)
Bus Speed: 167 MHz (in case it matters to anyone)
And Yes I have the super drive.

Last edited:
So the question now is: a free version of 10.4 or the $129.00 CAN. for 10.5
(given that I'd be running 10.5 at pretty close to the minimum requirements -I'm leaning toward 10.4)
What say you oh Learned Mac wizards?

So the question really is more like "a free pirated version of 10.4 or a legal $129 of 10.5".
This is based on the fact that your wife's friend only "loaned" the system disks to her, and did not transfer ownership of them.

jb.

So the question really is more like "a free pirated version of 10.4 or a legal $129 of 10.5".
This is based on the fact that your wife's friend only "loaned" the system disks to her, and did not transfer ownership of them.

Yeah I suppose you're right. But I use to record mixed tapes back in the day too, so I guess I've always been into piracy. Unlike the angel you are obviously!:rolleyes:

I may be naive but i was thinking mabey this generous friend had allready upgraded to 10.5 and was generous enough to give his retail 10.4 box to a friend rather than ebay it... There are still nice people out there, somewhere?

In my younger days Ill admit i pirited alot of stuff,, completely legit now however, Adobe must love me..

Get a new mac
1. Warranty + Phone support (nothing beats that)
2. this is the best part.... Snow Leopard. This puppy won't run in PPC

You know not everyone can afford a new mac, a powerbook is a great computer, and Leopard is a GREAT OS. I ran it on mine until i bought my Macbook, and that was everything i could ask for at the time.

I have an iBook G4 and am looking to upgrade to Leopard. Does anybody know whether it is legal or illegal to buy Leopard, say from Ebay, from someone who has bought and used it?
I am concerned that if I buy something that I will somehow get caught with a pirated version.

Back