G4 AGP, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, OS10.2.8... dual display??

Jolten

Registered
Hi,

I just got an ADC to VGA adapter for the GeForce 2MX card in my G4. I hooked everything up and when I power up I get video mirroring but no options to change the display set up. My secondary display is a small 14" monitor with a max resolution of 800x600/60hz. I just wanted it for palettes and the like. I can't change the resolution or refesh rate so, basically it simply flickers like mad. If I change the display peferences to 800x600/60hz display then both monitors look fine but mirror, no option to span the display anywhere. I can't function with my larger 21" monitor at 800x600, it's silly. adn mirroring will do me no good at all.

I heard there is supposed to be an "arrange" tab in the display preference (OS10.2.8) But that tab is not there. Both video ports work, I can swap a monitor between the two and the monitor works great when only one is plugged in.

I did shut down, pull the battery, waited, and rebooted but still the OS doesn't seem to see that there are two monitors connected. The GeForce 2MX specs state it has "TwinView" technology and supports independent displays.

I'm a long, long time Mac user, over 15 years, so I'm not just getting my feet wet in terms of the Mac, but OSX has me stumped at things like this.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to have to rebuild my entire system on the off-chance it may work then.

Change to a different monitor that has the capability for different resolutions, that old monitor apparently won't allow what you need.

But the OSX system software should allow me to set the resolution and arrangement for any monitor. The monitor itslef isnt' the issue. it works fine. The issue is the ability of the OS to see the dual display.

The issue is not the OS seeing the dual displays, your vid card has to support that, but your GForce 2 MX cannot provide dual display video, unless you have the optional GF 2 MX Twin View card, so that explains why your only choice is mirroring. The solution is a second video card, either adding a PCI video card, or replacing the existing AGP video card with one that will support dual displays. :(

Thanks Delta. I figured out that it had to be the card. Replaced the 2MX with a 4MX Twin View and all works as expected. Sorry to have troubled you.

Back