G4 and Apple Cinema Display

littleET

Registered
Hi,

I have an old PowerMac G4 Tower 466MHz. 896MB SDRAM which has been connected to an old Apple 21" monitor. I attempted to connect the G4 to my new 20" cinema display but it doesn't work. The monitor connection fits in to a connection on the back of the G4 but it comes up blank when I turn it on.

Can anyone explain to me why the new monitor won't work and what sort of a monitor I need to work with the G4. I am looking to get a smaller flat screen and it doesn't necessarily need to be an apple one. Does it have something to do with the VGA card?

Thanks

Here's the relevant system requirements for your Cinema display:
Requires Power Mac G4 or G5 with NVIDIA graphics or ATI Radeon 7500 graphics or better, or PowerBook G4 with DVI port. Requires Mac OS 10.2.8
If your video card has only a VGA output, then that's your problem. You need a video card with digital out (DVI). If yours has an ADC connection, then an ADC to DVI adapter could be used, I think.
If you have only the VGA connector, then you could replace your new Cinema display with another LCD display which has VGA connections.

Thanks DeltaMac and albloom for the information. Now I understand what I need to look for and the link to the apple site expalains it clearly.

Cheers.

Back