G4 Dual Apple Monitors Radeon 9000 Connectors Question

Adonsa

Registered
Hi,

I sort of came close to getting the answer by searching around, but I think I'm asking the reverse of queries that others posted.

G-4 w/ Radeon 9000 dual output graphics card, Output ports are 1 ADC and the other is DVI-I.

I would like to get a 2nd Apple 15" ADC monitor, but will need to tap the Radeon DVI-I monitor port. Is there an adapter that will allow DVI-I to Apple ADC? Concern here is that the Apple ADC port powers up the Apple monitor and I'm not sure the DVI-I port has that capability.

If this ends up being "too hard to do" (and it certainly might), how do I locate 3rd party LCD displays that are DVI-I capable? This sounds like a dumb question, but those I've found have a "15-pin mini D-sub" whatever that is. Or do I need to be searching for a DVI-I to "15-pin mini D-sub" adapter?

Thanks much for all your hard work being accomplished on Macosx.com.

Cheers,
Adonsa

You mean something like this?

http://www.apple.com/lae/displays/adapter/

A "15-pin mini d-sub" is basically a VGA adaptor (old-school analog monitor connector).

For best results, I would try and find a monitor with a native DVI interface... adapting from a digital signal to an analog signal degrades the quality -- probably not noticeably so, but the less conversion you do, the better.

Hi ElDiabloConCaca,
For best results, I would try and find a monitor with a native DVI interface... adapting from a digital signal to an analog signal degrades the quality -- probably not noticeably so, but the less conversion you do, the better.
Yes indeed, given that the powered Apple cable runs nearly $100 (ouch), for a 2nd monitor; it'll be more cost effective to go for a 3rd party monitor.

Guess I should stop by CompUSA or Altex, or I dunno if the new Apple Store at I10 & 1604 would have any non-Apple monitors; then there's always mail order. Thanks much, for squaring me away. At any rate I think it would be smart to examine the VGI-i connector to make sure.

Thanks much,
Adonsa

Sorry I couldn't help more -- I do hear good things about Dell monitors (believe it or not!) and they've got some cheap, good, DVI-compatible, true-digital (no analog conversion) monitors...

Didn't know you were here in town! Have you been to the La Cantera Apple Store yet?

Hi,
Yeah I went out to La Cantera once on a Sunday, it was so crowded i couldn't really look around much. Amazing that much enthusiasm in an area dominated by Pee Cee's.

Nice web site, by the way.

Adonsa

Thanks -- I think it's time for an overhaul, though...

La Cantera's really calmed down now, so it should be a much nicer visit now that it's been open for a while. I was out there opening day, and it was a mad house.

Back