G4 LCD Monitor Compatibility Question

sellout08

Registered
I am thinking of buying this Dell 18" LCD monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...9&page=external

At the bottom of the sreen it say PC compatible. Does this mean I can't use it for the Mac? I am running Panthar with G4 450. I have read some places that you can use it. Does anyone have this monitor, or any Dell LCd for that matter? Thanks.

Aaron

Also does $442 New, shipped sound like an ok deal?

Well, your link isn't working for me, so I can't see the exact monitor, but you need to find out what kind of connector the monitor has. Also, you need to know what kind of video card you have and what connections it has. If you can match the two, like VGA connector for the monitor and your card has a VGA connector, you're good to go.

You say you have a G4/450, so I'm assuming that you still have the stock video card, which would be a Rage 128 or Rage 128 Pro. I believe that monitor only has VGA connectors, or VGA and ADC, but you'll have to check for sure. Just make sure the monitor and video card connectors match.

Monitors really aren't platform-specific -- they'll usually work with any computer as long as you've got the right connectors.

The _monitor_ would have DVI, not ADC (which is an Apple invention).

Usually, you'll have _no_ problems whatsoever with PC monitors on Macs - unless you don't have the right connector, that is. Any G4 Mac can handle VGA displays either directly or through an adaptor.

Specialty features of monitors like those which you can turn so you have a vertical instead of horizontal display might only work with Windows software, though. You could still use it horizontally, though.

True, PC compatible usually means a Windows machine, but for monitors, they're usually cross-platform capable as long as you've got the right connectors.

Some monitors, like those from HP and other brands that are bundled with certain Windows machines have Windows-specific drivers for them, for things such as built-in speakers or software controls for the monitor.

sellout08 said:
I am thinking of buying this Dell 18" LCD monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...9&page=external

At the bottom of the sreen it say PC compatible. Does this mean I can't use it for the Mac? I am running Panthar with G4 450. I have read some places that you can use it. Does anyone have this monitor, or any Dell LCd for that matter? Thanks.

Aaron

Also does $442 New, shipped sound like an ok deal?

I have two Dell LCD monitors, one 17", which is at home, and one 20", which is at work. Both of these monitors work an absolute dream with my PowerBook G4 and both monitors can handle DVI and VGA. It all depends on what connector your Mac has?

In preference, I love the 17" as the screen is brighter and sharper than the 20" (go figure). It is also the best LCD monitor that I have come across IMOH.

Also they as cheap as chips compare to other brands...

Hope it helps?

Back