G4 Power Book - Blank Screen

El Perro Loco

Registered
Hi!

I have actually been here before, but subsequently lost my password, and mailed my mac to vancouver.

The Problem: Periodically, my mac freezes up, sometimes this is prefaced by the screen going wonky (i.e. seems to break up horizontally).

This usually necessitates a reboot. Invariably, my mac will boot, but the screen will stay dark.

Note: Sometimes by making minute adjustements to the monitor, I can stabilize the screen, but again I usually get the freeze up followed by a black monitor on the re-boot.

If I turn the system off (on one of the rare times it is working), it will rarely immediately start on the reboot - somtimes the monitor will stay black for days, weeks, even, then suddenly, it is back again, looking pretty as ever.

In all cases, I can hear the system working (fans, hd, and if there is a disc in the rom, I can hear it being accessed)

What I Have Done:

1) Reset the PRAM about eighty gazilion times. This sometimes seems to help.

2) booted the system from the install disk (for some reason this also sometimes seems to help - some sometimes not.

3) Reinstalled and updated the os

4) completed wiped the system, and reinstalled and updated the os.

5) Called it a bunch of names.

None of this seems to have helped. I got the mac from a friend who could not get it to run at all. The day I got it, OS10 V.Tiger had just been released, and upon installing it, the system seemed pretty sweet.

Stats are as follows

Machine Name: Powerbook G4 15"
Machine Model: Powerbook 3.5
CPU: PowerbookPC G4 (3.2)
Number of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1GHz
L2 Cache: 256kb
L3 Cache: 1 MB
Memory : 256 MB
Bus Speed: 133MHz
BootRom: 4.5.3f2

I can not remember the name of the tech who helped me last time. I am sorry abou that, as I really appreciated his help. I am, unfortunately, on a different system at the moment and have no access to those notes. I remember, though, that he did want the stat info.

I hope that helps, and any help you can give me would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Shawn

When you mailed the Mac, did you make sure are the internal components were secure in the fittings? I don't know about Canada mail but US mail can man handle delicate packages like computers. I say this because it sounds as if something is going wrong with one or more RAM chips.

Back