G4 restarts after being Shut Down

surfdogguitar

Registered
Hello All,

I'm hoping you can provide assistance with the following problem: when I shut down my computer, it instead performs a restart. In other words, it is impossible to get my computer to permanently shut down, short of interrupting power at the exact instant that the computer is off before powering up again. I know that this is a dangerous maneuver, but can't leave my computer on all the time.

The computer in question is a DP500 G4, running OS X 10.2.6. It has a bit over a gig of RAM.

I have tried re-installing OS X 10.2, but other than just wasting time and losing some prefs, this did nothing. I have also used fsck in single-user mode, but it finds no problems. Have also run Tech Tool Pro 3 (in OS9) and Drive 10.

I'm now at my wit's end. I had this identical problem with an older G4 at work and finally solved it by completely re-formatting the drive and re-installing the OS, etc. I really DON'T want to do this with my home computer, because there's tons more stuff on it.

Can anyone think of something I've missed to try to fix this problem. I would be very grateful for any assistance anyone can provide.

Sincerely,

Clark Devlin

I've seen this problem before, when I was trying to use my 1GHz G4 on a KVM switch to share a monitor, PS2 mouse & keyboard. It doesn't like something connected to your USB port. Unplug your USB devices, one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem. I wound up using the Apple mouse and keyboard, and a separate monitor to solve the problem. Hope this helps.

Try to think back to when this started happening. Was it after a certain software install? I ask this because it sounds like a program is configured to automatically start the computer and connect to the internet. Or it could be s USB device problem.

Thanks, guys. Those are both excellent suggestions. I especially am thinking that the USB issue may be the problem; I will check out that possibility. With regards to the possibility that some other program may be causing the problem, I have indeed thought back to the time-frame that this first became an issue, and believe it was right after I ran a utility called 'Cocktail.' I am a long ways from being able to blame Cocktail, but have avoided using it since.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I will pursue both possibilities. If you come up with any more ideas, please share them.

With much gratitude,

Clark

Thanks, mslifkin. You were absolutely spot-on when you suggested looking into my USB arrangements. I had recently plugged my Apple keyboard and mouse into a USB hub, rather than directly into the Mac itself. Once I righted this wrong, the G4 now shuts down nicely.

Again, much thanks for your prompt and accurate response.

Clark

Back