G4 Tower won't boot up after 10.4.9 install

TxCarGuy

Registered
Hello everyone. I just recently downloaded the 10.4.9 install on my G4 Tower and the computer starts up and goes to the 'starting mac os x' screen with the little blue line underneath and the line is filled up llike its finished loading but it will no go past that screen. I have even waited a half hour just incase it's taking awhile to introduce new updates. Now I can safe boot the computer(holding down shift key while starting up) to get in and it still takes awhile to do that. I have repaired all permissions and the disk with an old 10.3 CD(couldnt find 10.4 CD) and tried to restart and nothing works. I have even deleted some cache files(found on macfixit.com) and it hasn't helped. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks

Computer in question is a QuickSilver, 1GB RAM, 800 MHz G4, Mac OS 10.4.9

If you have access to another Mac you can fix it. To do this follow these steps:

1) Boot the sick Mac into FireWire target disk mode and connect it to the good Mac.

2) Once the FireWire mode mounts on the good Mac run Disk Utility on the Mac.

3) Then download the 10.4.9 PPC Combo and apply it to the sick Mac.

4) Try to boot the sick Mac normal now.

If this doesn't help consider getting the the best sick Mac utility called DiskWarrior. If DiskWarrior can't fix it, your looking at either a reinstall or a new hard disk.

Back