G4 Won't Boot Up Properly

cynluv

Registered
My G4 (OS 9.2) is tricky to boot up (reason for buying the new iMac) but I'd like to keep it in service as an alternate editing station if I can.

The problem: Everytime I turn the G4 on, I will get a flashing folder icon with a question mark (?) on the folder icon. Now I found a work around that works about 8 times out of 10 boot ups, but something is obviously wrong.

The only way I can get my G4 to boot up is to continually hit the (Esc) key until I see it start to boot up properly. Once it's booted, it runs normally, but once I turn it off I have to do the same (ESC) key trick to get her up and running again. I have two internal HDs on this G4 the second drive is dedicated for video footage storage to use with Final Cut Pro. It would be really nice if I could solve this problem. Fortunately I've been able to start it up for the last year until I was able to afford the new iMac I just purchased. thanks.

Cynthia

Try to start up w/ the three finger salute, comm. Key, opt key, P & R key held down at same time. Keep held down til you have heard 3 separate chimes from the g4. Then release those keys and let comp. Reboot completely. See if that might cure the prob.
Good luck
DICKSTER-----

The next step is to finish booting, then (if OS 9) open your Control Panels, then Startup Disk, and make sure that your boot drive is selected.

You should try to reinstall the OS; hopefully the original discs that came with your computer. Something has corrupted the start up system. Be sure to back up your data. Hope it helps.

Back