G5 1.8 New memory problem

mikepak

Registered
Hello all,

I am having a very strange problem, and I have run out of diagnosing ideas.

My 1.8 G5 came with 512MB(2x256) originally. I wanted to upgrade so I bought 6 256 sticks from 800-memory From here.

Once I installed every thing It booted up fine. I even had time to make a Screen shot.

Then I got the "you must resart your computer". this happened twice. Then the computer would go straight into Open Firmware.

I've reset Pram and nvram to no avail.

so the I downloaded the memory testing application from http://memtestosx.org/.

I found out that every possible combination of 2 sticks passes the test.

BUt if I try to use any more than two, I get al kinds of crazy errors and usually kernel panic before the test finishes

ANy ideas, is it my computer or the memory?

Nope, I have already applied it :(

I forgot to mention I am running 10.4.3 (not that I think it matters)

Anyone else?
(I'll take shot in the dark sugestions at this point, because if I cant upgrade this RAM This tower is almost useless to me)

I see by your link that you purchased p/n AN4064U/256/Q2V
If you look at the memory in the Mac area of that website - you will see the same size memory listed as p/n MA4064U/256/Q2V
send the memory back, and replace with the p/n MA4064U/256/Q2V

Make sure when you install memory, that you install in pairs from the inside pair out. You don't need to purchase 256MB, any pair of memory slots can have a pair of 128, 256, 512, or 1024MB.
more info: If you look at the memory slots, from the top down numbered 1 through 8, then your pairs go into 4 and 5, 3 and 6, 2 and 7, then 1 and 8
Each pair must match, but every slot pair can have different sizes.
I would suggest after installing any new memory, that you boot to the Apple Hardware Test that shipped with your G5. You will see the test listed on the label of one of your disks, with simple instructions on that label for booting to that test. Run the extended test. If there is bad memory, it may show up in this window.

Back