G5 1.8DP Locking up

stv1701

Registered
I've only had my new machine a week and it keeps locking up. It happens about 2-3 time a day and I can't seem to find a pattern. Everything is fine one minute then the next I have the spinning beach ball and cannot do anything. I've tried cmd+opt and esc and nothing happens. I've left it like this for up to 15mins to see if it come back to life but it never does.

Anyone any ideas? Spec below.
TIA

4. Call Apple customer service and tell them you're a disappointed IT administrator of some large corporation wanting to have a G5 replaced.

Here is an idea, call Apple and have it returned/replaced while it's still under warranty. All product lines produce a bad apple at some time.

Sorry forgot to mention I've repaired permission and run the hardware test CD. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll leave it for a few days and see how it is. I'll then give apple a call

Cheers

you missed the usb devices. Any that are plugged? If so, try to unplug and see if your system still acts this weird way.

Zammy-Sam said:
you missed the usb devices...

Nothing plugged in other than an apple keyboard and mouse. It's getting annoying now as it's locked up about 6 time today:(

stv1701 said:
Nothing plugged in other than an apple keyboard and mouse. It's getting annoying now as it's locked up about 6 time today:(

I am having a similar problem with my DP 1.8 with 160gb drive and 1gb memory. Have run all kind of tests. Mine freezes and says in a number of languages that a restart is required. Only thing I have not tried is to zap pram. That's next.

bad memory maybe? If you got 2 sticks of 512 in there I would try running with just one, if it still crashes then try the other. I don't know if hardware test catches these sort of things, I have never used it. I am used to trouble shooting PCs a lot more than I am Macs, bad memory can cause all sorts of trouble. Of course it could be a multitude of other things as well... heat, bad disk, disk controller, etc, etc..

Have either of you tried a fresh install of OS X just to make sure you aren't having some sort of software troubles?

Back