G5 2.7ghz - coolant leak - cooked computer

pishnaris

Registered
The Apple Store just advised me that my 15 month-old Dual 2.7 G5 has a coolant leak, which ruined the power supply, both CPUs, and likely the logic board. That'll be ~$2K, thank you very much. No warranty. Naturally, I'll just have to throw the machine away. Can't put that much more into it, so I guess it's a $3,000 bad deal.

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of coolant leaks in these hot-running G5's. Frankly, I feel like I'm being stung by a situation that was latent since the machine was manufactured, and I don't see Apple stepping up to make good on this.

C'mon Steve...whaddya say?

Pish

Some credit card companies extend the warrantee, you might want to check that out. That seems like a manufacturing defect, something that Apple should repair.. maybe we'll see an extended repair program.

I would certainly write Apple, or make phone calls. It certainly sounds like a manufacture error that extends beyond a warranty period. They force car companies to warrant such defects, beyond standard warranty!

Don't just throw it away, though. People will pay hundreds for the case alone, on eBay.

Yes, definitely try calling Apple customer relations. Complain about poor service, faulty towers (lol), etc. Apple might allow a repair under the circumstances. If you get it, then some time on the telephone would be worth doing.

Back