G5 and Cinema Display power for Australia

wapstar

iAussie
I was looking at the prices of the G5 and Cinema display between here and Australia. It is way way cheaper to buy it here and then take it there.
What is the power setup for the G5 and the Cinema display.(US is 110V Aust is 240V)
Are they auto switching? ie accepts both 110V-240V
If not, does anyone have any ideas on the cost of installing new power adapters (or whatever they are called)?
Cheers

wapstar said:
I was looking at the prices of the G5 and Cinema display between here and Australia. It is way way cheaper to buy it here and then take it there.
What is the power setup for the G5 and the Cinema display.(US is 110V Aust is 240V)
Are they auto switching? ie accepts both 110V-240V
If not, does anyone have any ideas on the cost of installing new power adapters (or whatever they are called)?
Cheers

The G5 will provide power to any Cinema Display through the ADC connector on the video card. The G5 has a switch on the back to set either 100-125v or 200-240v. According to THIS PAGE the G5s sold locally in Australia also have dual switching power, same voltages. If you take a G5 purchased in US, then only a simple plug adapter may be all that might be needed (what's the physical difference between power plugs in Australia and U.S.?) or, if there is a difference, simply purchasing a replacement power cord when you get to Aus.

Yeah that is what I am hoping. I have a 17" iMac which I can just swap the power cord or use an adapter.
The plugs look different the two top prongs are vertical and the bottom (ground) one is round in the US.
I could also just use a step down converter.

Thats a good point about the display power, I forgot about that.

Just to confirm - American power chords do not plug directly into our sockets. You can buy an adapter but I would go for the new power chord when you get here.

yeah I know the cords do not fit (I am an Aussie in California)
My question is regarding the input power Voltage.

Well the Apple Australia page linked to above makes it sound like it does but to make 100% sure I'd try ringing Apple Australia. They're number from in Australia is 133 MAC, I don't know how you'd go ringing that from over there (after you'd put in the country code etc.), it might get you through.

Back