G5 can't find System folder

mbenchoff

Registered
Okay, we got a Dual 2GHz G5 a few weeks ago and it was great until the HD failed. We put a new (blank) HD in it and now it will not boot from anything. I tried a Panther install CD, the original G5 Install CD, the G5 Hardware Test CD, an external Firewire drive (that works on other systems), and NetBoot. I tried booting into the Startup Manager -- nada. I tried to zap the PRAM -- no luck. I tried booting into Open Firmware -- nothing. I tried single-user mode -- still nothing. I tried everything that I can think of and it never gets past the "I can't find a System Folder" icon. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or explanations? Muchos gracias.

Mike

sounds weird to me. Does your system boot into other devices once you uninstall the new blank disk? Are there any other SATA disks you might test?
Did you also recheck the cables and the jumper settings (am not sure how this is handled with SATA)?

Do you have a wireless keyboard??

If your original hard drive failed, did you get a replacement drive through Apple? (it's certainly under warranty)

There's no jumper settings on a SATA drive. Did you try connecting the drive to the other SATA bus (usually the lower bay is left empty with a single drive system).
The new drive COULD be bad, or the original drive COULD be good, and you have a failed logic board.
What did Apple tell you when you called AppleCare?

Back