G5 Dimm Slot

gparis

Registered
My brother recently purchased a mac g5 dual 1.8 processor.
He opted buy off-brand RAM, in an attempt to save money.
The memory is the proper type, and after running the apple hardware disk diagnostic tool, it was found that one of the chips had a post error.

This is most likely due to the ram itself being bad.

The problem is, while removing the ram, he seems to have snapped one of the seats that secures the ram into the dimm slot.

How screwed is he, basically, is my question.
Has a 3 year apple care plan, plus the computer is like 1 day old.

Is it possible to repair the seat himself because, it would appear that it would be possible, should he be able to obtain a clip.

If the broken piece is just the small clip that 'snaps' against each end of the RAM stick when inserted, then he may be OK. This has the main use of helping the chip unseat when removing. The chip itself is a very snug fit, and if the chip is well seated, the little plastic clip COULD be missed with little problem, as long as you don't need to ever replace the memory. HOWEVER, if the break is in the slot itself, you probably can say "Oh, bad luck!" and get ready to fork over a lot of dollars unless you can convince Apple it wasn't your fault.

DeltaMac said:
If the broken piece is just the small clip that 'snaps' against each end of the RAM stick when inserted, then he may be OK. This has the main use of helping the chip unseat when removing. The chip itself is a very snug fit, and if the chip is well seated, the little plastic clip COULD be missed with little problem, as long as you don't need to ever replace the memory. HOWEVER, if the break is in the slot itself, you probably can say "Oh, bad luck!" and get ready to fork over a lot of dollars unless you can convince Apple it wasn't your fault.

Yeah, I know it's the small clip for a fact, looked at it myself. just trying to find a way to replace the clip, as it shouldn't be too difficult to snug a new one in.

It did happen to be the slot where the bad ram was in.

Back