G5 Dual-Core Ram Installation..

infinite-loop

Leave the whales in peace
I've recently taken delivery of a G5 Dual-Core 2ghz. I bought it from the Apple Store and as such it only came with 512mb Ram. Obviously I would like to install more Ram and after calling Apple Tech Support twice, I was given conflicting information about this..! 1st time I called, the engineer said it was ok to install new Ram modules individually and not in matched pairs as I was led to believe. However, the 2nd time I called, a different engineer said that additional Ram has to be installed in pairs..!! Can anyone PLEASE clarify what the situation is with this..I ordered a single 1gb Ram module and installed it, but the G5 did not 'see' it. I've since returned it to the vendor as I assumed it was faulty, but now I'm thinking that the G5 did not 'see' it as additional Ram has to be installed in pairs..It's all very confusing, especially given that 2 seperate Apple techs gave conflicting advice..!!

As you can see from this page - http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html, RAM for your PowerMac G5 is installed in like pairs of PC2-4200 SDRAM, in sizes up to 2GB for each chip.
Adding memory to your PowerMac G5 means installing from the center slots out. The original memory is in the center pair, install each pair - one chip above, then one below the existing memory, and there you go!

Hi, thanks for the reply, it's clear to me now that Additional Ram must be installed in pairs. Just one other thing though..does this mean that the single 1gb Ram module I installed was possibly NOT defective..? It did not show up in the 'System Profiler'..will the Ram have no effect UNLESS it's installed in pairs..?

I've just ordered the Ram from Crucial, but I'm still curious about the 1gb Ram Module not being recognized if installed on its own..!!

because it needs the other to be noticed. it's normal. it requires the presence of both to fulfil the needs of the mac.

Back