G5 iMac 20" display stuck on lo-res, lo color

diarad

Registered
Hi all,

My 4yr old son was randomly banging on the keyboard and thru a fluke of keystroke combinations threw the display into what seems an irreversible, coarse display pattern a of wierd, 256 color posterized background and lo-res appearance which is function-limiting, as some (not all) of the icons and pull-down menu item lines fail to display.

I have tried all system preference possibilities, shutdown/restart, etc. to no avail.

On reboot, the normal hi-res, hi-color background shows for about 2 seconds, then reverts to the coarse pattern with the neon colored posterized look.

Before I whip out the firewire backup drive and paste my recently saved clone over this screwed-up setup, is there something easy I can try that I've missed??

Diarad

this may be universal access functions, try the combo alt+apple+8.

i'm almost certain that's not it, but try it anyway.

Tried apple alt 8 but nothing happened. Backup restored everything but I wish I knew what happened...

Check the Universal Access pane like Major Burns said... there are a number of different settings there (like contrast and inverted color schemes) that could cause the symptoms you're talking about.

You tried resetting the resolution and color bit depth in the Displays system preference? What happened?

Doug

Hmm. A couple other things to try if you haven't already:

1. Did you click the "Detect Displays" button in the Displays part of System Preferences? And then select a resolution. Set your refresh rate to 60 hertz for now. If you have an LCD display that probably won't matter.

2. Try is to delete the .plist file for the display. It shouldn't cause a problem to delete these plist files (I've deleted dozens), but ** be sure to back up your critical files first. **

Quit System Preferences. Make sure it's not running.
Go to the Home folder > Library > Preferences. If you double-click on your hard drive, your home folder should be in the sidebar of that window. Click it, then double-click the Library folder, then double-click the Preferences folder.

Delete "com.apple.preference.displays.000d932be636.plist"
"com.apple.preference.displays.000d932be636.plist"
Also delete "com.apple.universalaccess.plist"
and "com.apple.CoreGraphics.plist"

Restart the computer.

3. Still having problems? Try changing the resolution in System Preferences after you restart. Also go to the Universal Access part of System Preferences and make sure the "enhance contrast slider is all the way to the left under Display, and the button is clicked beside "Black On White".

Let's hope that solves the problem. If not, we'll think of something else.

*********Can someone double-check these .plists? I'm not sure where the display res. is saved. It looks like it's saved in the first one above.

Doug

Check the Universal Access pane like Major Burns said... there are a number of different settings there (like contrast and inverted color schemes) that could cause the symptoms you're talking about.

I had connection problems last night and had to shut off even my backup. When I re-started this morning, everything was posterized! When I Googled help to find out what was going on, I came across this site and the above suggestion did the trick. Thank you all so much!::love:::D

Back