G5 On Leopard Finder Locks Up

rickself

Registered
Suddenly overnight my G5 running leopard will lock up on the finder and the beachball will just continue spending. If I try to launch ANYTHING there's no reaction. Everything worked yesterday. I've tried Terminal fsck, also dusk utility. Disk utility hoes for 5 minutes and everything locks up. G5 Quad core 4x2.5 w/16 gig

Maybe a failing/failed hard drive.
How old is the hard drive?
Do you have another drive with a backup that you can boot?
If it is a failed hard drive, you may even need to disconnect that "bad" hard drive before you will get it to boot again

Thanks for the reply. I do have a second startup HD and swapped it out. Same result. Then I unplugged all USB and Ethernet cords and all was good. Okay, AT&T put in a new modem last night. I have 2 switches on the network between the modem and my Mac and maybe tomorrow I'll have to unplug the switches and see if that helps.
Wow, this is a new one on me!

When sudden things happen on one of the later G5s, I always wonder about the cooling system.
Have you checked the CPU area (and the absorbent pad underneath the CPUs and LCS) carefully for any evidence of fluid leaks?

How long since the last time you rebuilt the LCS in your G5?
It may be ready if more than 5 years. (There's no magic in the 5 years number, just what I recommend - to rebuild the LCS each 5 years.
If you have never rebuilt the LCS, then it's well past due for that attention. (just my opinion :D )

When sudden things happen on one of the later G5s, I always wonder about the cooling system.
Have you checked the CPU area (and the absorbent pad underneath the CPUs and LCS) carefully for any evidence of fluid leaks?

How long since the last time you rebuilt the LCS in your G5?
It may be ready if more than 5 years. (There's no magic in the 5 years number, just what I recommend - to rebuild the LCS each 5 years.
If you have never rebuilt the LCS, then it's well past due for that attention. (just my opinion :D )
I bought two of these and G5's about two years apart. Two years ago the first one died from the cooling system failure. I'm kind of getting the idea that that might be happening with this one. If I recall, I also lost a processor. Not too sure how entailed that process is but it may just be time to upgrade to an Intel machine. I can click on an application or a folder and nothing happens most of the time. Sometimes it may open but it takes forever.

Back