G5 powerbooks :) [or at least a hilarious mock-up...]

:D Love it, just wonder about the battery time. Hey, maybe we should take that photo and do an eBay listing...

Besides that, there's the rumour of _actual_ PowerBook G5 models already being in production - or at least production information about displays for 'new notebook models'. Speculation is that this means

a) that Apple is ramping up the production early enough to be ready to ship the PowerBook G5 when it'll be announced (it's expected in Autumn 2004),

b) that Apple will jump the gun and announce a PowerBook G5 already at WWDC or

c) that these displays are actually meant for a new iMac model (possibly a G5 model).

With the latest round of PowerBooks only just available in stores now, rumour-mongers prefer option c). However, Apple has surprised us with 'early' PowerBooks in the past (when the 12" and 17" models were announced only shortly after the 1 GHz TiBook G4).

I wonder what it'll feel like, if Apple would _actually_ introduce a PowerBook G5 this Summer already... Having just bought my PB G4 15"/1.33, I'd have two options. ;-)

a) whine. (can't be the right one, eh?)

b) be happy that I have the very LAST generation of PB G4. The first gen. PB G5 will quite certainly have 'issues' and in some or other way the 64bit processor just won't pay off yet in a notebook. ;-)

Apple would make me QUITE happy by introducing the mock-up listed in this thread, though. :p

btw.: I've added [mockup] to the thread's title. There are people with heart conditions, you know, and we don't want to cause heart attacks unless it's April 1st. ;-)

Though this is an old picture some truth does lay behind it. The possibility of a mobile workstation still may exist. At this time to fit a g5 in an ordinary apple laptop would require something of this magnitude unless some intergalactic cooling system could be found.

If Apple would supply everyone with a deep freezer to work in we could all be enjoying our G5 powerbooks today. Of course if everyone lived in Siberia Apple wouldn't need to worry about cooling issues.

What'll be funny is when they finally intro the G5 PB and it's less than 1"...that'll blow everyone's minds!

dlloyd: Bet you would. But since my girlfriend moved in two months ago, I now have a happy taker for all my older hardware (since she had even older hardware). ;-)

Also: Like I said, I think I'll keep this new baby for a while. :)

The problem I have with this is the author is an idiot. He has it listed as the worlds first 64bit mobile computer. This is really really far from true. Tadpole has been selling 64bit SPARC laptops for years and years. :)

Brian

Nope. They _did_ look a bit heavy (compared to Powerbooks at least, not to PC notebooks of the time), but those SPARC processors weren't as big and hot as a PPC 970. (When that pic was made, the 970FX was nowhere around...)

Bah, that thing would overheat in no time, set fire to your trousers. You'd need mesh sides, seven giant fans, and giant aluminum heatsinks sticking out all over the place

There are Athlon 64 bit laptops on the market, one dude at a lan i went to recently had one, from the distance i mistook it for a power book, really sleek with a wide screen.

It's neat, just eats the battery.

Back