G5 Slow Network Performance

ibonaccorso

Registered
Hi, I'm not an Mac expert, in our company the Creative department is entirely Mac (G4 and G5) and the rest is PC.

I have setup a Windows 2003 Server as a file server running File services for Macintosh and it runs pretty well.

On one G5 running Mac OS X 10.3.9, 1.25 Gb. RAM network transfer (file copy) is very slow. I already changed network cable and patch cord, this G5 is connected to a HP ProCurve 10/100 switch. Before it was connected to a simple hub and is still having slow network performance.

I noticed the problem happens mostly when uploading files to the server!! (it says like 40 minutes for 100 Mb.) rather than downloading (copying) files from it. Internet connection (web browsing) seems normal. Tried a different admin user on this computer, same issue.

I also installed another NIC on the PCI slot, NIC is Apple made, 1 Gb. taken from a Xserve, still same problem.

Network settings were changed to manual, I tried even with 100 Mb, half-duplex, same problem

Other G5 and G4 running same Mac OS version and connected to a simple hub have no problems at all.
Since the user is a graphical designer he needs to open and to transfer heavy files from the server.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

I found a few things there that I tried. Personally, I think it was a combination of things, including the last update that Apple put out. I added the WINS server to the Directory Services and also set the NIC cards to Automatic Negotiation and it seems to be OK now.

Back