G5 Tower RAID - target disk mode

rampage

Registered
OK, so I'm finally going to have to ante up and buy a new mac. It irritates me that Apple will support iCloud for a PC built the same year as my G5 tower, but they won't support it for my Mac... But anyway, that's not the point of this post.

I was thinking about turning my G5 tower into a storage array. I want to buy an extra drive bay kit from maxupgrades.com and turn it into a storage device. So here's my question: If I configure a RAID on the G5 tower and then boot into 'target disk mode' (t boot), will the G5 tower be an acceptable storage device? In other words, does the raid still work when you boot into target disk mode or is it software raid?... Looked at system profiler, I don't have a hardware raid card but will software raid work if I boot into target disk mode?

Has anyone else done this?

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite...
with a complex question:
Target Disk Mode does not use an installed operating system - it's a hardware capability - so - If you have a software RAID, yet you are not booting to an operating system that provides that software RAID, then don't you just have a bunch of drives in a fancy box, (and not even a JBOD)?

OK, I'll bite...
with a complex question:
Target Disk Mode does not use an installed operating system - it's a hardware capability - so - If you have a software RAID, yet you are not booting to an operating system that provides that software RAID, then don't you just have a bunch of drives in a fancy box, (and not even a JBOD)?

That's the question I have I guess... But you're probably right, if it's software RAID done by the OS it might not work in target disk mode. Can you still buy RAID cards for the G5 towers?

I guess maybe I wouldn't have to boot into target disk mode... If I setup software RAID and share the drive it would still be accessible through firewire, right?

Back