G5 USB Ports- baffling behavior

snmitch

Registered
Hi Folks,

My first post to this site - but I just need to speak to some mac big brains. I am a long time UNIX and PC computer tech, but mac newbie - please bear with me, and I promise not to waste your time.

So - USB ports on a G5! 2 on the back, one on the front. The one on the front works fine - plug and play, any device that is plugged in. No issues!

The two on the back can only handle a keyboard or mouse. Anything else and I get the popup that says the device is drawing too much USB power and should be moved to a powered port. I get this even if I plug them into a USB hub powered and the hub into a port on the back. The USB's on the back can only handle a keyboard and mouse. Even the Mac USB speakers won't work, but work perfectly on the front.

This is a new install of Max OS X 10.4 on a brand new disk. Which went perfectly 1st time by the way.

System is a G5 with 512Mb ram (2 x 2ghz version)

Anyone seen anything like this before. I suspect hardware and the system is still under warranty.

Any help appreciated.

SNMITCH

I have a rev dual 2ghz G5 have had no problems like that, or heard of any. If its still under warranty i would have Apple check it out.

Back