G5 Video Problems

daseinx

Registered
I may be an outlier here, but this is my story. I have a Dual 2.0 GHz G5 with the stock Radeon card. Because I have a good surge interruptor for the system, I leave it running 24X7.

We had a thunderstorm pass through and power to the house was lost. When I returned home and booted the Mac, everything came up, but the video. I am using a 17" Flat Panel Studio display. The weird part is, I can turn the machine on via the monitor. Everything works but the actual video signal. I tested the display separately and it is fine. I can ssh into the running system and issue any number of commands. I have re-seated the video card to no effect. Is there a reset I need to do for the motherboard or video card or what?

If not, I need to replace the card. I would prefer an nVidia card and I have heard that nVidia is set to release some higher end cards for Macs next month (April). I can't even find the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. Any ideas?

A good surge protector usually comes with a warranty to replace damaged items that the surge protector, correctly used, did not protect. Find out if that is true, then replace the video card and get reimbursed by the surge protector company (Some home-owners insurance policies will also replace items damaged in a storm) You can go through an Apple store for the replacement, or another compatible vid card.

I know this post is kind of old but at my work we have ordered over 150 G5 2.0 with 2 gigs of ram about a year ago. We are having major issues with video cards going out. We run dual monitors using seperate video cards for each one. The stock card doesnt work after reboot. We have to start in safe mode to force it to kick on, then restart in normal mode. Anyone know why this is happening? I would figure paying $3k for a computer, the stuff should work.

Back