GarageBand Creations

ElDiabloConCaca

U.S.D.A. Prime
I'm thinking we should start a thread on users' GarageBand creations. This is my first creation, simply messing around with tracks and loops and what-not. It's funky, with some horns, and then I get into testing loops and what-not with some Indian-style loops, some classical instruments, a banjo, and then the fade-out. It's about five minutes long, 4.7MB, and I tried not to make it too repetetive. Anyway, check your local clubs for all the kids getting down to this track in the near future... ;)

http://homepage.mac.com/eldiabloconqueso/JhoppeSong.mp4

I'm sure someone else can outdo that... let's hear 'em!

Wow... that was random. :)

One of the problems with GarageBand is that everyone is using mostly the same loops, which means a lot of people are going to make music that sounds the same in parts. When I played around with GB at MWSF, I used those same horns, for example.

Anyway, hopefully one day I will be able to put something up in this thread.

Hehe... I know it, it does sound random, but hey, it was my first creation and we all know how slap-happy we get and just throw whatever together we can find. I'm working on song number two, hopefully to be posted here in the next day or so.

There are a few members here that are quite proficient with SoundTrack, so maybe they'll be able to contribute something good here... in the meantime, I'd love to hear more user creations.

Thats cool El, you know, considering how soon GB came out, look at the number of sites dedicated to the users out there. Which just gave me an idea, I'll get back to you guys with it when i finish.

Heh... yeah, I was looking at all the GarageBand sites out there. Quite a handful already, and I'm assuming it'll only grow from there.

One thing I was wondering about was the rumor (or confimed rumor?) that Apple purchased garageband.com. I just visited there, and it still looks like an independent web site, not affiliated with Apple... isn't Apple supposed to be taking over this or something? Or was it simply the name "GarageBand" for the actual application?

Apple, Garageband.com agree to share name
January 7, 2004 - 06:37 EST** Garageband.com, billed as the Internet's largest legal source of free MP3 music, and Apple Computer have signed an agreement to share the name "GarageBand." The deal was signed in April 2003 but both parties kept it confidential until now. According to the press release, Apple has paid Garageband.com a one-time fee in order to use the name for its new music creation software GarageBand (part of the new iLife '04 suite), announced yesterday during Steve Jobs' Macworld Expo keynote. Consequently, Garageband.com will continue to use the name for a "vast range of products and services

Boo! GarageBand.com could be so much better, Apple should have just bought it straight off of them.

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of iLife! I would buy it myself if it had more than just two programs that I can use (I can't use iMovie or iDVD).

But from how you guys are making stuff sound...it sounds amazing! Is it easy to get to used to? Does it come with a lot of loops to use?

Last summer, my band went into a fancy studio and recorded some tunes. We tried to pack too many songs into too little time, and the mix suffered terribly. Were pretty unhappy with how it turned out.

I thought I'd try to record our simplest song in GarageBand, just for kicks. I wasn't expecting anything good. I don't have a midi keyboard, and wouldn't know how to play one if I did, so I made parts directly in GB's editor. The guitar and whistling are the only things that are recorded. The drums are courtesy of DoggieBox, though I've somewhat learned to use GB's drum kits since. Everything else is straight GB. No vocals, though, because I'm no singer.

Have a listen to both, and keep in mind that this is from the first time I touched GB ever. I'm very very pleased with the results.

I Don't Want To Like Someone Else (studio version, GarageBand version)

Kinda hard to see which is better due to the vocals on the original. But I like the bass in the original, gives it more punch, the GB is a bit flat.

Trip:
My only reason to get iLife was for Garage Band! So far it was well worth if for what I am using it for. And I'm not even playing with it's music making abilities at the moment. :)

Everything else is a wonderful extra. :D

Sogni: Aww, thanks! :) That's actually one of my less-than-favorite songs, just because it's so simple and kinda geeky. But I guess that's fitting.

Back