Garageband wont initialize

jimmyrogertodd

Registered
I have a Mac OS X version 10.4.11 with Processor 733 MHZ Power PC G4 1MB L3 cache with 768 MB SDRAM and I had Garageband 2 on my computer and I was trying to set up my computer to be able to add vocals and I purchased M-Audio Fast Track which came with Live. I tried to load these on my mac and then the Garageband 2 afterward will not open and I have even removed all of the M-Audio programs off and uninstalled Garageband and reinstalled and I still get the same message saying that the application Garageband has quit unexpectedly. I don't know what else to do to get it to work again for me. Please help.

Since no one has replied, I'll throw this out: it may be a driver problem for the FastTrack. I use a CEntrance MicPort Pro with Garageband--totally plug and play (no drivers needed for Mac)--and can record vocals and my acoustic easily as well as on the road (it's a portable device - no power supply). They also have a guitar version called AxePort. Check it out here: http://centrance.com/products/mp/

Best of luck to you!

Try searching for the .plist files (these are the preference files for applications on OS X) that correspond to GarageBand and delete them. Launch GB after doing so and see if the issue is resolved.

Have you tried installing the latest drivers from the M-AUDIO website for your device? Sometimes the ones included with the device are out of date. Also, make sure that the drive does actually support 10.4.11, as sometimes M-AUDIO includes drivers for each major point release version of OS X.

I want to thank you for posting on my question but I have been busy with a few problems and now I am going try your suggestions and pray that it works and thanks to all who have posted.

Try searching for the .plist files (these are the preference files for applications on OS X) that correspond to GarageBand and delete them. Launch GB after doing so and see if the issue is resolved.

Have you tried installing the latest drivers from the M-AUDIO website for your device? Sometimes the ones included with the device are out of date. Also, make sure that the drive does actually support 10.4.11, as sometimes M-AUDIO includes drivers for each major point release version of OS X.
Unfortunately, I tried it and it didn't work so still at a standstill.

I have a Mac OS X version 10.4.11 with Processor 733 MHZ Power PC G4 1MB L3 cache with 768 MB SDRAM and I had Garageband 2 on my computer and I was trying to set up my computer to be able to add vocals and I purchased M-Audio Fast Track which came with Live. I tried to load these on my mac and then the Garageband 2 afterward will not open and I have even removed all of the M-Audio programs off and uninstalled Garageband and reinstalled and I still get the same message saying that the application Garageband has quit unexpectedly. I don't know what else to do to get it to work again for me. Please help.

This was my original post over a year ago and still have the same problem. Can anyone please give me some support???

If you create a new user on your Mac (through the System Preferences/Users pane), then logout, and log back in as that new user - does your Garageband work with that different user account?

1. When you uninstall a program I suggest using a third party application such as AppCleaner which will search through your HDD for any files related to the app you want uninstalled.
+Since an uninstall and reinstall didn't work I believe it would be some underlying .plist files that are the culprit here. A third party application deleter should take care of that right off the bat, no hassle. And AppCleaner is free!​

2. Since that might not be an option at this point I would suggest you manually search through your Application support folder(s) (plural: meaning both root>Library>Application Support & User>Library>Application Support), your preference folder(s) (again, more than one, found much the same way as the above mentioned), & your cache folder(s). Delete anything having to do with GarageBand or Live (Abelton?) in particular. Important: If you don't know exactly what it is and what it does don't muck with it.

3. Use a third party preference cleaner or all around maintenance utility to identify & fix corrupted/wrong/broken/etc... .plist files, caches, etc. I use Oynx which does a great job and is free.

4. It is worth noting that as long as your interface is M-Audio and you copy of OS X (10.4 I believe you said?) is up to date than you shouldn't need to install any extra drivers. OS X ships with M-Audio drivers so any M-Audio device should be Plug-n-Play with minimal configuration on your part.

5. What, exactly, are you planning on using GarageBand to do? There are most likely some easy alternatives if GarageBand still gives you problems.

Hope this helps a bit. I apologize if any is unclear or confused. Let me know if I can clarify anything or if anything helps. I'm an audio engineer by trade so hopefully I have something up my sleeve for you.

Thank you. I am going to try to utilize what you have suggested. I will post my results when all is completed and hopefully what you have suggested will do the trick. I'm trying to add vocals to music is what I am trying to accomplish when all of the calamity occurred.

So you want to record Vocals over a pre-produced two (read master or final) mix or over multiple tracks?

BTW: Did you get GB working again?

Back