Garmin Gps And Virtual Pc

Jimsing

Registered
Trying to get VPC to recognize a Garmin Etrex Vista C GPS, which has (only) a USB cable. (An older Garmin GPS works fine with a serial connection.) I have a G4 desktop, with OS 10.3.9 and VPC v.6.1 Plenty of RAM and hard drive space. When I open a MapSource map (Garmin) and try to load, it asks me to connect the device, though it IS connected and turned on. Someone suggested booting from OS 9.2 which I have done, as it is on a second hard drive, but it still does not recognize the device. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I did check out MacGPSPro, and it will work with my unit, but Garmin's map software, MapSource, is proprietary, and will not work with MacGPSPro. Thanks for the idea, anyway.

Yeah, if you need to upload maps to the GPS unit, MacGPSPro doesn't cut it. I'd go with using either a friend's PC or buying a little PC that you use for nothing but MapSource. It's a pity, but I don't think you'll get VPC to run with a Garmin GPS unit over USB from what I've read.

Thank you for the input, I think that I will probably spring for an inexpensive used PC dedicate it for GPS use.

Back