Gateway's iMac look-alike!

Those test results are incorrect. My iMac (even in 10.1) does not take anywhere near a minute to start up. I think that that alone discredits that company's testing.

My iMac: 800MHz, 15" LCD

Hey all -
I've been thinking of posting this for a few days now, and have refrained because I didn't want to come off as a windows bashing lunatic.

But.. my story:

I own the mac in my sig. I use it all day, every day, and have for the past 5 years. Obviously, the 30gig drive didn't come installed, nor the 300mhz processor. This powerbook was a refurb from Apple, and originally ran at a meager cache-less 233. I replaced the drive a year ago, not because the original went bad, but because I wanted to run osx, and with only a 2gig drive, it was no small feat to accomplish. Would the drive have died by now? I don't know. I'd put money on the fact that it probably would have. Drives are usually the first to go. My point is that this was the cheapest mac laptop available at the time.

Now, 5 years and 2 cheap pc's later... I'm still using it, while building a nice pile of pc's and their parts in the corner here. 2 days ago, my pc bit the dust. Yes.. these 2 pc's were much cheaper than the powerbook. Cheaper for a reason.. the hardware in them is garbage.

I do alot of flash stuff (ok, it's all I do!) and the last pc actually ran flash much, much faster than it does on the mac. But I couldn't bring myself to trust the pc to keep my files. And now it's dead. If I had been doing all my work on the pc, I would have just lost it all. Enough said.

What I'm trying to say, is that for me, the number one selling point to go the extra few bucks for a mac, even an imac, is that I trust Apples hardware. We all know Apple wants people to "switch", and this is really the only reason the imac's have existed. It's just very hard to get that accross to new users.. spend a few hundred bucks more, and get a machine that will last at least 5 years. Buy the gateway (or other cheap pc) and you will most likely be buying a new one in about 2 years. I don't know anyone running the same pc they bought in 1998. They just don't last in comparison to the macs. But... at the price, it's affordable to buy a cheap pc every few years. If you rely on the machine for work, it makes sense to buy something that you can trust to not leave you stranded.

J5

Inspired by J5's post, I would like to say that my 6100 (which I have passed on to my music making partner) is still running Performer for MIDI production and is going strong. Only the HDD was replaced over the years and a faster CD-Rom drive was added.

This old friend is still running strong!

Hehe -
I neglected to mention the powermac 8500 sitting next to me. Still going strong.. new drives and a maxpowr g4 card. Designated to running proTools. Added a usb card as well. Heck.. for a while we even had osx running on it!

But as far as audio multi-tracking.. that's what this machine was originally designed for. It still does a great job! The cdrom sais it was produced in 1995. Show me a pc that can do multi-track audio recording that is still running from that year or earlier and I'll send you my whole pile of broken pc parts!

Oh yeah.. the original drive is still working, or at least the original Apple 2gig drive that I received when I received the machine used. It's in an external scsi box, and used to shuffle stuff around when I need it.

J5

Originally posted by J5
Hehe -
I neglected to mention the powermac 8500 sitting next to me. Still going strong.. new drives and a maxpowr g4 card. Designated to running proTools. Added a usb card as well. Heck.. for a while we even had osx running on it!

But as far as audio multi-tracking.. that's what this machine was originally designed for. It still does a great job! The cdrom sais it was produced in 1995. Show me a pc that can do multi-track audio recording that is still running from that year or earlier and I'll send you my whole pile of broken pc parts!

Oh yeah.. the original drive is still working, or at least the original Apple 2gig drive that I received when I received the machine used. It's in an external scsi box, and used to shuffle stuff around when I need it.

J5

ProTools User too! Ha ha ha... finally I found another person who is stuck in Classic like me! ha ha ha... nice to know, nice to know... CARBONISE ProTools and Free OS X Plugz upgrade for us please! :D

Good to hear as well. I don't know if we'll see a free upgrade to pro-tools, but it sure would be nice. Usually these types of users (audio studio, graphic design houses, etc) are the last to upgrade to the latest os anyway. They get stuck in production mode.. No time to learn a new os, or afford any downtime while they upgrade.

My old boss almost had me almost dying with his shiny new tibook running os9! I'm still trying to convince him to upgrade.

Sorta like getting a ferrari with a ford engine swapped in.

Actually.. sorta like getting a gateway when you wanted an imac :)

J5

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but has anyone noticed that the iMac system Gateway are using in comparison has around half the RAM compliment of the Gateway computer??

Shouldn't the two systems be as evenly set-up as possible if they want to even *try* to compare performance fairly?????

Shouldn't the two systems be as evenly set-up as possible if they want to even *try* to compare performance fairly?????

I guess if they wanted to fairly compare, then yes. But I don't think that is their objective. They really just want to sell computers! (startling revelation!)

But Apple has definitely used these same marketing tactics. Look at Karavite(sp?)'s post on the "real world qe performance". Everyone uses marketing tactics like this to manipulate data to look how ever they want, or to make it seem one thing is better than the other.

J5

My room mate works for the Gateway store in the Albany area. They are crap, plain and simply. Gateways are low level computers, they are made cheap to sell cheap. Customer repairs and warranty work are the only way the place stays opens. The new all-in-one is a machine made to quiclkly market something against the iMac. Any computer company that would use a cow for a marketing strategy can't be that smart. Sorry the Gateways LCD is not better. Many of you lose the point. Be able to move the monitor is not just cool, it makes sense. Not just up and down. If you going to make a design, do it right, and not half-ass.

Stop the arguement. Simply, you like Windows and associated machines, go for it. When I take a keyboard into my hands and can bend it, that is cheap quality. When customers return Gateways for constant repairs, that is cheap quality. Who in hell would want a black and white cow design on a computer?

Originally posted by powermac
Who in hell would want a black and white cow design on a computer?

[in my usual little voice] - Many little boys and girls in Tokyo are weeping right now because they have bought the "cow puppet suit" for their iMac! Ha ha ha...

I think I better stop clowning around. Seriously, I am hammering this reply from a PC, and I still prefer to use a Mac. NOTE: PREFER. But I brought all my Macs to work. PCs are great game consoles! Ha ha ha...

Back