GB now only outputs to AIF ?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
I've trashed the iTunes and GarageBand preferences, but for some reason Export to iTunes still ONLY makes AIFF files, despite the AAC/MP3 setting in Import in iTunes.

Does iPod (first gen) play AIFFs ? If so then maybe they were ALWAYS exported as AIFs, which would be embarassing but would explain why my iPod's been experiencing playback problems.

I thought at first that it might just be a file name error and it was in fact an MP3 or AAC, but no, there's no 17 meg 53 second AAC/MP3 :p

Suggestions ? It's extremely frustrating to have to re-encode all my AIFs with another app.

Yet oh-so-simple to do with iTunes's 1-click menu item...

Odd that GB would stop exporting to anything except AIFF. Have you tried other settings? Are there any other settings?

Well, I trashed iTunes and GB prefs (the com.apple... ones) and re-initialised all the settings in both apps but still it only outputs to AIFF. I can't find any other settings to change in either app...

Odd though that it lists the track title/composer/album in iTunes since I didn't think AIFFs had ID3 tag capability. It dawned on me today that GB may have always output to AIFF after all and I just hadn't noticed. It might explain why half way through a few of my tracks my iPod (classic-5GB) paused to spin up even though the playlist was only about 5 minutes long...huge files.

Hehe way to screw everything up Mike.

It wouldn't susprise me since AIFF is a "loosless" format after all...why it needs to go through iTunes I can't imagine though, that really annoys me (since, for example, new songs with the same name aren't replaced on my iPod).

Anyone else with GB care to output a song and see if it does in fact only make AIFs ?

Ok so I'll assume that I was just mistaken thinking that « Export towards iTunes » would actually export it in the format iTunes specifies :rolleyes:

Thanks !

Back