Generic app icons w/white circle & slash - why?

Syncopator

Registered
I'm running Tiger. Every now and then, a bunch of my apps' icons change to a generic app icon with a white circle & slash superimposed. (Screenshot attached.)

While many apps are unaffected, these particular apps refuse to launch until I restart the machine or log out/back in.

Although restarting always works, I'm curious why this happens in the first place. (On two of these occasions, I also noticed that QuickSilver was not responding. I don't know if this is *always* the case; I'll have to take note, the next time it happens.)

Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1
The applications preference file has become corrupted (/YourHarDrive/Users/YouruserName/Library/Preferences/). Throw the applications preference file out and then repair the icon.

now run some kind of maintenance on your Mac. I recommend the maintenance application Yasu. There are MANY other Mac maintenance programs around if you just search for one that suits you. I believe this maintenance will benefit you if you run a maintenance script around every three weeks.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused, though, because it seems you may not have read my entire post. :)

I mentioned that when this happens, restarting my machine (or logging out and back in) fixes the problem 100% of the time -- and I typically don't see the problem again for weeks.

Also, when this happens, it affects literally *dozens* of apps at the same time -- including ones I haven't even launched for months. So it's definitely not a prefs issue.

Since restarting always works, and since it only happens once or twice a month, fixing the problem isn't really the issue. I'd just like to know what is *causing* this to happen.

Thanks again for your reply.

I read your entire post I told you that problem is most likely the applications preference file. i also told you what to do to try to fix it. If you read my entire post you would see that. If you don't want to try to fix it because you know better then don't ask for specific advice about your problem or what Mac you are using. I gave general advice despite your lack of details.

Back