generic card reader and Mac ...

pmg4lktan

Registered
hi guys ...

just got a 1.3 mpx Olympus digital camera from my uncle, he gave me the card reader as well ... initially, it works perfectly well when i test it in my uncle's home on an iBook ...

after that, i brought it home and it still works ok with the Smart Media flash card plugged in ... i deleted the whole "DCIM" folder in the card since i need the space to take new photos ... but then after i take some photos and try it back, it won't mount ... :(

before this, whenever i plug it in, iPhoto will automatically detect it, but now, no ... and the red LED isn't blinking as well ... any idea? what can i do about it? by the way, for your information, it appears as PQI Travel Flash in "System Profiler" ... thanks in advance! ;)

Most cameras put their own folder/file hierarchy on the flash card -- I always use the camera itself to delete photos and erase the flash card.

Whenever I've tried making changes to the flash card via Mac OS X, I need to reformat the card with the camera to make it work again.

Try formatting the card with the camera and see if that gets it working again.

huh ... i just took a few photos ... any way i can recover them?

those are very important photos, please help ... :(

I have used an Olympus camera over the last 3 years (3 different models). In my experience whenever I delete the DCIM folder or the 101OLYMP folder they always come back when I take another picture. I do these all the time. Also, I don't use iPhoto so I changed the preference to keep the app from loading evrytime the card was mounted.

I've used the cable, the Rio card reader for both SM and XD card and currently the Dazzle PCMCIA card reader. They all worked the same.

Try using the cable instead of the card reader and see if thet works.

What model Olympus is it? Make sure your camera doesn't also have internal memory as some (including certain Olympus models) have internal as well as the external cards. Since you removed the file system on the card, it might have defaulted to the internal memory to store those pics, since the card wasn't formated.

I have an Olympus D-360L model (no internal memory) that is picky about the card situation. Sometimes it requires a reformat if you erase the card totally, sometimes it doesn't. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. The simple fix is just to drag the contents of the DCIM folder to the trash, instead of the whole folder. That or leave the pics on there and format the card each time with the camera. Once you learn where it is, it's an easy operation to do and doesn't take too long.

hi, guys, please let me clarify that before this the card reader had the red LED blinking whenever the Samrt Media card is slotted in ... but now ... no and not mounting as well ...

will check out which model ... by the way, my uncle lost the cable ... it uses a smaller type of USB slot than my C650 ... what type of USB cable should i get than? thanks in advance! ;)

Back