Germans opened boxes

This came from Germany earlier:

i was with a friend yesterday who is working in a big macShop - i can´t tell you city and shopname, because he´ll lose his job.
they got new computers yesterday and they are the new 970s mit OSX 10.2.7.??

There is no "G5" shown on the outer hull, just PowerMacintosh 970. The Computers are there is two versions. Grey plastic with Aluminium or white plastic with Aluminium. The grey version has got the grill optic (grey stripes), the white is completely white, no structure.
The Picture seen in here (where this was posted, --> the translator,MacCaine) is a fake, definitely.
The Machines are not shaped as seen on the picture, no grill-style air-intakes. But small holes on the top and bottom, rounded out on the front. Similar to the ones from the eMacs.
The Machines are rounded out to top-front side and to the front.
All have got Superdrives.
The sides are covered with Alu, the right cover can be opened to access the inside.
On top and bottom, the machine has got 2 polished steelparts.
The Slots for the drives are in a "box that can be pulled out!!!!!!" On this box is the Apple Logo and "Powermacintosh 970" It can be rotated 90 degr. If rotated you can use the machine as desktop or as tower. There is space for 5 drives - optical or HD.
on the frontside there are 1 FW 800 Port, Headphones, Mic, bluetooth logo, three apple typical buttons, and chromed speaker.
on the back are 1 FW 800, 1 FW 800, 2x USB, 1 USB 2.0, ethernet, ADC, DVI and four diagonal PCI Slots!!!!!, speaker connector, mic.
Size of hull.: 15cm x 65cm x 40cm

There is a new alu/white keyboard, optical 2 button mouse without cord, srollwheel made of alu, bluetooth.

The machine did´t start from a OsX 10.2.6 HD

Inside one CPU, cooler for two cores!!!!!!

the new Displays...!!!!!!! can be positioned exactly into small fittings on the left side of the hull, so that when it is used as a desktop, the display doesn´t slip away.

sndz nice! i will get one. But i cant afford a new display :( Does anyone know if you can connect an old AppleVision display to newer computers with some kind of dongel?

btw... the above post seem kind of trustworthy. those germans are crazy risking their jobs like that :D

yeah no kidding....leave it to the germans...not only are they risking their jobs but a suit against them too i'm sure.

either if this pans out to be true these sound like some radically new machines. i'm excited :)

I can't wait until they release new powermac.

OMG, wireless 2 button mouse will be welcome feature.

I have to buy 3 button mouse anyway in order to work with 3D software. That's small price for what I will get from new powermac.

I have 3 yrs old mac. When it came, it has 9.x and I installed X as soon as it available. Yes X crashed several times but way less than PC at work. I think it crashed less than 5 times during 2 yrs+. Most of time, beta program causes crash.

Anyway, I wish someone can put picture. Second thought, that's not a really good idea :)

Probably, I am going to sell my old mac through eBay.com when I get new mac.

I can't wait, this seems detailed enough to be real, but could just be a well thought out dream ;^) I would LOVE to have one of these machines!

Sounds like complete BS...

Apple isn't going to be issuing two different versions of the Pro machines. The pro line, even at the height of the five flavored fruity iMacs, has always been a "one size fits all" design.

Besides, I doubt if any retailer (outside of the Apple Stores, where Apple has control) will receive any new machines before Monday's announcement. Especially one in Germany, where new releases usually take a week or two to show up.

If this guy really saw what he saw (in a computer shop no less), then why didn't he shoot a digital pic? Because it's not true, that's why...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut

Apple isn't going to be issuing two different versions of the Pro machines. The pro line, even at the height of the five flavored fruity iMacs, has always been a "one size fits all" design.

Besides, I doubt if any retailer (outside of the Apple Stores, where Apple has control) will receive any new machines before Monday's announcement. Especially one in Germany, where new releases usually take a week or two to show up.

If this guy really saw what he saw (in a computer shop no less), then why didn't he shoot a digital pic? Because it's not true, that's why...

You may be right..

We will find out in a few days and then these people will either look stupid or smug!!

It's not long now!!!!!!!

Since these things don't ship until (sometimes) weeks after the announcement dates, the validity of this claim is suspect. (However, Apple may be so excited about this machine that they wanna get 'em out ASAP ;) )

As Serpicolugnut stated, two versions of the casing would be a little off from Apples past exploits (again one could be the rumoured xStation... damn I'll have to stop contradicting myself :O !))

The rotating, 90 degree, diagonal passage, to me, is the most unbelievable... but I don't wanna look like a complete idiot when it comes out, so... er... carry on... as you where.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut

Many retailers in the us and europe have confirmed that they have received large shippments from Apple that have instructions not to open until June 23. It seems that as soon as the annoucement is made on moday we will be able to buy these machines immediately. I personaly believe that it is true.

I have no idea what to think anymore. I'm disappointed in myself for spoiling the "surprise". Course, if it's a fake, then I guess nothing has been spoiled.

The details are excellent. Nice inventiveness if it's a fake.

One thing is for sure. More than I can remember, this announcement (or lack thereof) will be the biggest excitement we have seen in a while, or the biggest let down. There is no inbetween.

My question is about the 1 usb 2.0 jack. I thought that usb 2 used the same jack as usb 1.1, and if so, how the hell is the average user going to tell the difference?

I would assume that if apple was going to do usb 2 they would just make the whole onboard usb bus 2.0, since its compatable with 1.1.

I also wonder about the bluetooth logo aparently on the front. As far as I can remember, Apple has never put a logo on the front of the computer, save for their own, and putting the BT logo on there would be interesting, as its not the most spectacular technology in the box.

This comp does sound awfully cool though, so we shall see what the comming weeks/months bring.

The funniest thing is I think that Apple has been hinting that they were unveiling something big since they delayed WWDC into June. Read this:
Get an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform and a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther", at Worldwide Developers Conference 2003, June 23-27, in San Francisco.
http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
Reading it when it was released I was drawn to the Panther announcement, and didn't think anything of the first few words. "Get an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform..." Also meaning "Get an in-depth look at the [Power-PC 970 Processor from IBM]."
If it didn't say "AND a preview release of the next major version..." It wouldn't be explictly announcing new hardware.
If not new hardware, the above statement tells us that something big besides Panther is coming out from behind the curtain, and coupled with all the other rumors; this basically confirms the PPC-970.
Or it's just my incredibly lenient interpretiaion of a very vague and general sentence...

This description really sounds like wishful thinking. I don't know why Apple wouldn't call it a G5, because "Power Mac 970" doesn't go along with their design schemes for the past 6 years. However, including pop-out drives would be a very interesting feature, as you could just pop your old Superdrive, or hard drive, or whatever out and replace it with a minimum of fuss.

And I certainly hope Apple keeps this computer easy to open.

I'm 99% sure that this picture is a fake. Probably more sure than that, even. All the same, it fits in with this thread and I thought I'd share it. I can see a number of things right off the bat that make this picture look wrong to me, but all the same it is one of the more attractive "leaked" pictures I've seen over the past few months.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 170
I think Apple is releasing computers next week but it's hard to believe some of these reports on the case design. Too many conflicting stories. This story has a CPU speed that sounds too fast for right now. Who knows. Maybe IBM's having good success churning out chips that rate faster than expected. My guess is that it will start with a slower 1.2-1.8 ghz processor with duals and faster 2.2+ghz in the 4-6 weeks after announcement. It will have Hyper-Transport. Firewire 800 and 400, USB 2.0. A better on board sound system and if they follow past releases the first ones available will have Super Drives. I guess the last word will come from Steve in less than a week!

Back