Get past icon changing bug in Finder

jjones!

Registered
does anyone else have this weird problem?:
I change the icon of a folder from the standard blue-folder icon to something new (obviously) via get info, then copy and paste (like usual). So now, my folder has a new icon. But, if I want to change the folder icon again (the same way), I can't paste a newer icon into the one I just changed??? The only way around this for me is creating a new directory by the same name, moving all the contents from the folder with the "stuck" icon, and re-icon the new directory (which also becomes "stuck).

note: the method I'm using to change icons (for those of you who don't know - which is probably nobody) is: get info on the folder with the icon I want, and on the folder I want to change. Then I copy the icon from one get info to the other....
-try this yourself to see if you have the same results.:confused: :confused:

okay, so this is even more mysterious to me:
1) I icon the new folder (I'll call it folderA)
2) close both get info windows
3) open get info for folderA
4) cut the icon for folderA --> the icon goes back to default (as suggested in the first reply)
5) copy a new icon note: the clipboard does never shows this new icon
6) try to paste the new icon onto folderA's get info icon field
---> it pastes the old icon (the first new icon) back into the icon field???

note: some icons show up in clipboard, some don't
:confused: :confused: :confused:

all you have to do is paste your new icon (don't mind if it shows up as the old one) and restart the finder
this method allways worked for me, give it a try

where can i get a library of icons...?

I'd like to make my IMAC hard disk a picture of an IMAC

and the same on my IBOOK

xicons.com

iconfactory.com

just google for mac icons and you'll find what you want.

I had the same problem with sticking my own icons on the blue maps. I did "permissions repair" a few times (diskutility/doctor/ whatever) and restarted Finder by means of Tinkertool. By now most of the icons appear.
My problem is that although the icons have re-appeared I still cannot drag and drop, whatever I try. Any solutions there??
Rgds

dick

How do you restart de Finder? I have de same problem but just with the icon in my applications folder.

mecos said:
How do you restart de Finder? I have de same problem but just with the icon in my applications folder.

You can restart the Finder several ways. The easiest way is to download TinkerTool. It will quit the Finder and so much more, plus it is free.

Back