Getting a 20" iMac G5

Hate to be the only one to put a downer on this otherwise positive, happy thread, but it's GOTTA be said: it's not a question of IF the hard disk in your new iMac dies, but WHEN…

When you get your new iMac, you'll get a 30-day free trial account at .Mac. Go for it, even if you don't plan on keeping it. Why? There's a great little piece of software called "Backup" that comes free with it. Download it, install it and use it regularly!

Sound advice for all! ::angel::

Don't you just HATE IT when some fool barges in and states the bleedin' OBVIOUS! :D

…but I'm sure that I'm preachin' to the converted here. So many wise Mac heads as there are at MacOSX.com will alreday know this to be a fact of life. ::sleepy::

:confused: I'll shut up now. :D

^^ I didnt actually know that - but i was planning on trialing it anyways....

How much data does it let you back up then ??

All of it! Or at least as much as you have room for on the destination device, be it CD, DVD or another hard drive.

My system is backed up daily by Retrospect Remote from our server, but it has proved to be a bit 'sensitive'. I run Apple's own "Backup" program by way of beiing 100% sure than when my hard disk dies, I will be able to retrieve all my data.

I just use it to back up the files that I have created – images, QuarkXPress files, etc. There is no point in backing up your system and software, as these can be re-installed form source CDs anyway, but I don't want to have to start again from scratch on a 300+ page book!

CaptainQuark said:
All of it! Or at least as much as you have room for on the destination device, be it CD, DVD or another hard drive.

My system is backed up daily by Retrospect Remote from our server, but it has proved to be a bit 'sensitive'. I run Apple's own "Backup" program by way of beiing 100% sure than when my hard disk dies, I will be able to retrieve all my data.

I just use it to back up the files that I have created – images, QuarkXPress files, etc. There is no point in backing up your system and software, as these can be re-installed form source CDs anyway, but I don't want to have to start again from scratch on a 300+ page book!

So i would need an external hard drive to back all the data upto every once in a while ??

Just thought i would update you all...

06 dez 04 32 55 flight departed Apple Shanghai
06 dez 04 32 05 Flight Booked Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
04 dez 04 30 60 departed from product source Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
04 dez 04 05 00 boxes scanned Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
04 dez 04 30 64 Departed from source Apple Shanghai
04 dez 04 00 05 Data received from supplier Apple Shanghai

Its looking good :)

Noonster said:
So i would need an external hard drive to back all the data upto every once in a while ??

You have to have an alternative device to back up to, yes. You can back up to CD or DVD. All this assumes that you will be taking advantage of Apple's offer of a free period of access to .Mac to be able to get hold (legally) of the software anyway. You could do worse than to take out a subscription to the service and back up to your iDisk – the kind of thing you would do last thing at night, as it takes a while to upload all your data.

I prefer to back up manually, myself. I can't really see enough advantage in the .Mac service to justify the price.

Don't get me wrong – I'm not advocating .Mac subscriptions or indeed any one method of backing up – I'm just advocating backing up!

:eek: I've lost way too much work through hard disk failure not to. :eek:
And when you consider that the projects that I tackle can take up to a year to complete and can get as large as 20–30Gb, you can understand why!

I understand and completely agree with you on that. Backing up is vital. However, I prefer to do it myself, that way I know its been done right, and for important stuff I can keep multiple backups (one at home, one at the office, that way I'm covered).

Just another update...

08 dez 04 30 10 departed direct Apple Shanghai 09 dez 04
08 dez 04 40 60 Arrived at EDC KN Luxemburg 09 dez 04
06 dez 04 32 55 flight departed Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai

Not sure what EDC is ??
But looking at that means is "should" leave Luxemburg 2mora, so therefore i should have it by the middle of next week :)

Its getting close now.....

09 dez 04 90 75 truck arrived at final destination Apple Shanghai 09 dez 04
08 dez 04 30 10 departed direct KN Luxemburg
08 dez 04 40 60 Arrived at EDC KN Luxemburg 09 dez 04
06 dez 04 32 55 flight departed Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai

Shouldnt be long now.... just a matter of days?

Getting very close now

11 Dec 2004 07:34 Northampton Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
10 Dec 2004 23:37 Eindhoven Shipped From Originating Depot
10 Dec 2004 16:55 Arnhem Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
10 Dec 2004 16:17 Arnhem Hub Consignment Passed Through Transit Point
10 Dec 2004 16:15 Arnhem Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point

When i rang apple yesterday they told me it would be delivered on Tuesday... but looking at that i would think i should get it on monday - it only needs to go from Northampton to East Yorkshire....

What you think??

I remember when my Powerbook came to Stanstead Airport. Came all the way down here from Alton (I'm in Dorchester, Dorset). No one answered the door. So it should of gone to the nearest depot (southampton I think). Nope, it went ALL THE WAY BACK. TNT is kinda weird.

I think you have a good chance of getting it monday.

Convert said:
I remember when my Powerbook came to Stanstead Airport. Came all the way down here from Alton (I'm in Dorchester, Dorset). No one answered the door. So it should of gone to the nearest depot (southampton I think). Nope, it went ALL THE WAY BACK. TNT is kinda weird.

I think you have a good chance of getting it monday.

:( - Bet you was gutted mate... i would have been.

Yeah im thinking there is a good chance also - someone is always in so i should be ok :)

Back