Getting X11

Plain

Registered
Hi. I recently purchased a 2nd hand Mac w/ OS X 10.3. I didn't come w/ the CD. Is there any way of downloading a copy of X11 or do I need to buy a license?

Thanks.

No, you can't download X11 for 10.3 from Apple -- you'll need the original installation CDs.

I would recommend contacting the seller of the Mac and inquiring about getting the disks -- since the license is basically tied to the Mac, there's no point in not giving you the CDs along with the computer -- unless, of course, he/she lost them, which is a different problem altogether.

A Mac without installation CDs is like a car without keys -- I would highly recommend getting your hands on a legal copy of OS X for your new Mac.

Thanks for the reply. I will see if they still have the original disc. If not, I suppose I can purchase a copy from Apple? Y/N

Apple doesn't sell 10.3 ("Panther") anymore, so you'd be forced to get 10.4 ("Tiger") from them. If you want 10.3 at a discounted price, though, check here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6914909A/

That's a DVD, though -- so if you don't have a DVD drive, you'll need the CDs available elsewhere... just let us know if you've got a DVD drive or not, and if not, we can point you somewhere where you can get the CDs.

Wow, amazing... the post date says 2003, but I could have sworn that Apple didn't provide an X11 download for Mac OS X 10.3 and above -- only for 10.2 and below.

Good find -- I stand corrected!

FYI - that version of X11 will NOT work with Tiger (10.4)- you'll need to use the version on your CDs.

FYI - that version of X11 will NOT work with Tiger (10.4)- you'll need to use the version on your CDs.

The poster stated the Mac they have is running 10.3. So the X11 link from the Apple site will run fine on Panther I downloaded it once myself when I still had my old PB running Panther before going Intel.

The poster stated the Mac they have is running 10.3. So the X11 link from the Apple site will run fine on Panther I downloaded it once myself when I still had my old PB running Panther before going Intel.

I know that, I just added that in case people running 10.4 happen upon this thread.

Back