GForce 2 MX 400 PCI vid card for $58 at Walmart

Big Max

Registered
I just found a Gforce 2 PCI 64mb Video card at Walmart for $58. What I'd like to know is if any of you know if this card is campatible with either Mac OSX or the Powermac G3 B&W. It's obviously a PC video card, but if there is a way to reflash it to the Mac, I'd be REALLY happy, as it is faster, more powerful, and cheaper than any ATI PCI solution for the Mac.

Thanks

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Nope, it's not compatible with the Mac.

You can flash the card with Mac firmware, but it's not guaranteed to work and you may not be able to take advantage of all the features of the card when you do flash it.

Here's an article on flashing the GeForce2 MX AGP card for a Mac (it's more than two years old, though):

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/graphics/flash_PC_geforce2mx.html

The interesting thing is that
I just read on Nvidia's page here- http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce2mx.html - that it is actually running in the iMac and on the same page there are PDF's indicating the "Twin View" and the other features are fully functional in the Mac. Of course they are talking about the AGP Card, but I just downloaded Geforce 2MX Mac firmware update 1.1 from Macupdate.

Well, the iMac has an embedded GeForce2 MX chipset in it. Just because the PC version of the GeForce2 MX has the same specifications as the Mac version of the GeForce2 MX doesn't mean they're compatible. As you'll see on that page, there are two different PDF files for the two different versions of the GeForce2 MX -- one for PC, one for Mac.

You can try to flash that card, but simply downloading the firmware update for the Mac may not work -- it may tell you that it can't update the firmware, simply because it's a PC card. You can try, though!

GeForce 2 MX cards and older Macs(at least Sawtooth G4s) aren't compatible with Panther. They cause screen image tearing and crashes when you change the screen resolution.

Well, it was a thought.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I've done further research and concluded that, while I could try it and it might work, I'd have less headaches by NOT trying it.

The PC version of the Radeon 7000 PCI is another possibility. Anyone have any experience with flashing the PC version of the Radeon 7000 PCI for the Mac with any success?

Back