Gmail POP/IMAP client/Gmail in Mail.app

pds

Registered
It seems the concept of Gmail was originally for POP mail. Does anyone know whether it has an OSX port?

The web-version is sweet. Will the POP version be as nice?

It may do so in the premium package. But the question is about a Gmail app. that is not the Google service. It seems it supports POP using sql searching and a dual database.

uh, there is a link in the first post. How so vague?
Although still very much in "beta" phase, Gmail is already on its way to becoming a full-featured email client. For receiving mail it supports POP downloads from multiple mail accounts. APOP and IMAP have not been added yet, but APOP accounts can be utilized via a combination of fetchmail and a POP server (for instance qpopper) running on the local host.

What that means is you can get mail from your other POP accounts and have it show up in GMAIL.

Someone is not reading this correctly, and I don't think it is I. The graphic shows a local app, not a web-page. The text talks about having to have mySQL installed to work with it. It talks about it running locally on a AMD 233, not on the web.

So, are these old articles (I can't find a date on it, though one link expired in 2002) about the concept that has become Google's mail or is it a standalone app that will compete with Mail.app or Eudora.

I don't want my mail on Google's server. I don't need it to be constantly crawled over by bots and spiders. But it would be very cool to be able to handle my mail on my computer with the type of sorting in virtual folders that the article describes.

...but isn't that what Gmail is? I thought Google's Gmail was a free email service that was supported by "targeted ads" that are selected with regard to the content of your emails, or something like that.

No, the targeted ads are what Google is going to do with the software.

The software itself is based on the idea of organizing your mail via vfolders, smart folders I think Tiger calls them, and that's what is attractive. All the mail is kept in two mysql databases and the user has the ability to find things quickly and flexibly. I don't put things in folders and then try to remember where I put them, but I have smart folders that can be adjusted as I need. That's what I want in an e-mail client that works off-line, on my iBook.

Do I have to wait for mail.app in Tiger?

short answer: no, not with alot of fiddling that im not ready to get into at 2 am.
ill post tommorow morning if no one else has helped you.

The bdegan link, I've tried. It works. It starts two local servers (pop and smtp) and actually seems to work - as long as you have the developer tools installed. It's quite ugly (the two servers must be running in your Dock), but it works. However: You might not actually _want_ that solution. The great thing about Gmail is its space and how you can organise mail by not having to organise it, really... I'm waiting for an official IMAP4-access by Gmail...

bobw
amazing man at the search button! :D
I followed a link on the FreePOPS site to MacFreePops for a binary build of FreePops, but it is in Italian. Spanish - bueno, Italiano - no multo bene.

fryke said:
The bdegan link, I've tried. It works. It starts two local servers (pop and smtp) and actually seems to work - as long as you have the developer tools installed. It's quite ugly (the two servers must be running in your Dock), but it works. However: You might not actually _want_ that solution. The great thing about Gmail is its space and how you can organise mail by not having to organise it, really... I'm waiting for an official IMAP4-access by Gmail...

That to me is the interesting part. I've got more than a gig free for mail on my computer, the thing is to have the ability to create the vfolders and organize the conversations like it does on the server. For that we'll need a new client.app.

IMAP access will be nice, but I imagine it will be part of a premium package and it will still need the new client.app to give it the functionality that makes it interesting.

I didn't suggest users would not have their gigabyte free for mail on their machines, rather I meant that it's wonderful that Gmail has that gigabyte free for our mail on _their_ machines. POP-protocol is not really a good protocol for keeping things on the server, as you can't really _manage_ it from there...

Im gonna try one of these options when i get home, id rather have it pop up in my mail app, then go launch safari, browse to their page, login, etc every time *shrugs*

id rather have local copies of my email personally, but thats me :)

Back