gNat, Brickhouse, geeRoute: Router help!!!

Nachohat

je suis donc je pense
I have a lot of problems setting up a software router in OS X. I have a beige G3 with dual ethernet; one is connected to a dsl modem the other to a hub. 4 other computers connect to the hub. In OS 9, I had IpNetRouter runing on the G3 and it would share its internet connection with the network.

I've just installed OS X thinking that it would be easy to configure the Router with all the great free software. Boy was I wrong. I have tried gNAT, geeRouter, Vicomsoft Gateway beta, and Brickhouse and I can'T get any of them to work.

I have even tried to do in in the command line, with an online tutorial at http://homepage.mac.com/gdif/masqfirewall.html

I think the command line should get it working but I need some help. I can't logon as superuser. I type in sudo (why can't I just use su???) Root and then I get prompted for the password, which is blank, but it doesn't work. I went to check in my preferences -> users and it seems that my password has been changed by OS X!! What is this password?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I've manage to logon to root using sudo -s

Rewad Damien Gallops series on Mac Security Je talks about how to setup a Router and how to use Brickhouse.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is go out and get a DLink router which has a hardware firewall and that DSL connects to and then your computers connect to the hub part of the Dlink all protected by the DLink from the Internet.

ALso since your a beige G3 user, check out This Forum just for the Beige G3 user. I am also a Beige G3 owner. :D

I've written this solution so many times I don't want to do it again. I'll sum up the three things that need to be done.

1 - in /etc/hostconfig IPFORWARDING should be YES ... this helps
2 - You'll need to tell ipfw to forward everything through natd
3 - launch natd with appropriate args.

This is your typical IP masquerading dealy. Much more is possible. Learn Unix. :)

I've got it working! Thanks for the help. After playing around with it, and reading some commands in my UNIX in a Nutshell book I figured it out. Not too easy for a beginner. It makes me realize that I have to learn a lot more about UNIX.

The only reason why it didn't work in the first place was that I had given a wrong router address on the Server. One of the softwares configured it to 0.0.0.0 Anyway, now it's working and I'm happy. :p

Thanks for the pointer...

I'm essentially trying to set up the same thing, only using an Airport connection between DSL modem/ABS and my G4 -> my PCs.

Gotta love how Apple trains their store staff as last night, I was told "nope, with Client that's impossible"...

Cheers.

Originally posted by theed
I've written this solution so many times I don't want to do it again. I'll sum up the three things that need to be done.

1 - in /etc/hostconfig IPFORWARDING should be YES ... this helps
2 - You'll need to tell ipfw to forward everything through natd
3 - launch natd with appropriate args.

This is your typical IP masquerading dealy. Much more is possible. Learn Unix. :)

Nachohat: it sounds like you have not enabled root access. you should still be able to use sudo though. the password is your user password. if you want to enable root access, type sudo passwd root

first it will prompt you for your account password, then you can choose a root password, and then su should work.

Back