Go, Connect to server, from the finder???

In order to help you, we'll need to know how you have set up your network in the real world sense ... are they connected over a direct cable, via a hub or switch, via airport, via the internet?

You must establish a working IP network between the two computers. You can check this by using one computer to ping the other's IP address, and see if you get a response (open a terminal, or a dos prompt if you're on the dark side, and type "ping 12.34.56.78" to whe IP address you want to check)

In order to establish a network you will need appropriate network cables or connectors. For a direct computer-to-computer network you may use a crossover cable, or if both machines are macs, a regular cat-5 cable. If you are connecting over the internet or a LAN, then you'll need to know if you are behind any firewalls.

Thanks symphonics,

In order to help you, we'll need to know how you have set up your network in the real world sense ... are they connected over a direct cable, via a hub or switch, via airport, via the internet?

I guess it would be the internet. My G4 at my house, and his G4 at his house. Both using cable/ethernet.....

You must establish a working IP network between the two computers. You can check this by using one computer to ping the other's IP address, and see if you get a response (open a terminal, or a dos prompt if you're on the dark side, and type "ping 12.34.56.78" to whe IP address you want to check)

How do i open a terminal to ping his machine?? I understand why, just not how....

In order to establish a network you will need appropriate network cables or connectors. For a direct computer-to-computer network you may use a crossover cable, or if both machines are macs, a regular cat-5 cable. If you are connecting over the internet or a LAN, then you'll need to know if you are behind any firewalls.

We both run Nortons System Works 7. Not sure if it auto puts me behind or not. I'll have to check the preferences....

I have created users on both machines, with passwords. I have file sharing turned on, but not sure if that matters...Do both machines have to be running(booted up) in order to get access from one to another???

Thanks again,

You'll have to find out if it is possible to access another system through your internet connection, I assume you are using the same ISP. Your cable supplier may not allow a direct access to another customer. You may be able to use a TCP connection. Sorry, no info from me about how to actually do that.

Back