God must be bored

The "End"

Remember in the original Star Wars movie when the Death Star fired that powerful energy beam at that planet and destroyed it completely, and at that moment, Obi Wan said "I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if a thousand voices all cried out at once, then were silent". I was just reminded of that.

But actually the end of the universe will come about quite slowly, as in taking billions of years. the closer in towards the core of the Universe you are, the greater the gravitational pull you would feel, there, at the core there would be cataclysmic events like planets colliding, but for the rest of the universe, our demise would be slow; for example, the sun and planets would start to be gently pulled out of their normal orbits, and our planet would either start to get very very cold or very very hot depending on which way our planet got pulled in relation to the sun. Over the course of a hundred years, the Earth might get so hot that all recognizable life would become extinct, the atmosphere would evaporate into the vacume of space, and the seas would evaporate. Then over the next hundred years, the temperature plunges to -200f, killing of any bacteria that still existed. Our planet would turn into a barren rock devoid of all life, looking much like mars, slowly plunging toward the core of the universe.

That would be our fate. And here we are now, killing each other over religion.

Of course by the time the Big Crunch comes, mankind will no longer exist in the form we live in now. By then we will have genetically engineered our bodies and minds to suit our new environments, and figured out how to bend and fold space and time.

homohab.gif

"What me worry?"

hehehehe
i like star wars, it's gotta be the greatest space movie (well, movies, plural, there's been so many already).
But that just shows how modern technology could create so much destruction. Possibly that will happen to us - technology will be so advanced that Iraq may blow earth up, while trying to blow up america. (just an example).
"What happened down there?" asked Saddam jr. "Oops! i accidentally blew up earth..." said Boohad

You're right Androo, our genes are our worst enemy. Our nature, which is often violent and selfish, and leads us into wars, is what will prevent us from evolving. We may very well destroy ourselves before humanity sees another 10,000 years. An anti-matter bomb is theoretically possible to build. Say, in the year 11,258 AD, an individual, genetically enhanced by the military for intelligence, figures out how to build one. It's easily powerful enough to destroy our entire solar system. I don't doubt that the reason why we don't hear much chatter in the radio telescopes is because a good percentage of intelligent civilizations end up destroying themselves. Kind of a downer.

Originally posted by habilis
You're right Androo, our genes are our worst enemy. Our nature, which is often violent and selfish, and leads us into wars, is what will prevent us from evolving. We may very well destroy ourselves before humanity sees another 10,000 years. An anti-matter bomb is theoretically possible to build. Say, in the year 11,258 AD, an individual, genetically enhanced by the military for intelligence, figures out how to build one. It's easily powerful enough to destroy our entire solar system. I don't doubt that the reason why we don't hear much chatter in the radio telescopes is because a good percentage of intelligent civilizations end up destroying themselves. Kind of a downer.

I disagree with your not evolving premise. I was under the understanding that conflict and war has spurned mankind on in evolving. Think about all the technology you use today. One, the internet was created so the US government had a reliable way to communicate in case of a nuclear war. Fiber Optic modems (a product of the Cold War). The computer (do the europeans forget it was a european war in which the British [they were clever during WW2] was developed to break codes. The spawn of real flying machines that worked. The list goes on.

Now I DO NOT think wars are good. With todays technology war is not regional anymore. However, the history proves wars (in the past) have forced mankind to evolve or die. I am a firm believer an animal (man too) will not evolve unless it encounters a problem to over come or an environmental change. For mankind it has been no different.

satcomer: You're right, plenty of good inventions came out of war, but probably a greater portion of destructive devices comes from it. And even if the worlds greatest peaceful invention comes from war technology, something like cold fusion or weather control systems, we won't be around to enjoy our technological evolutions if we end up destroying humanity with the megaweapons we discovered in concert with them.

Not to mention, in a timeframe of a few thousand years, eventually these weapons are sure to fall into the wrong hands.

Originally posted by Darkshadow
Time will end, Androo. Time is closely linked to space (spatial distances, not outer space).

At some point, all the mass in the universe will disappear, which will pretty much negate space - when that happens, time will disappear too.
yeah my brain is just going crazy.... imagining a non-time universe. There won't be anything. Try to picture in your head a nothing. No color. It won't be like a white room, it will be nothing. If you try to look down from heaven, you will see a nothing.
But what if there is no heaven? that would suck.

Well, I noticed that the thread changed focus from "God must be bored" to "Human evolution, war, and technology".

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Humans will continue to wage war against one another for several reasons: politics, religious beliefs, economic injustices, social beliefs, racial differences. Why?

Every organism in nature competes in the environment for resources. Humans compete in the same arena but have included a much more complicated environment, whether it is for energy (oil), economic and political might (power), cultural dominance (less differences, less conflict, less war), education (the more educated people are, the more power they have and the more likely they can recognize we all have more in common than differences).

2. Right now the planet Earth has too many cultural, social, political, and economic gradients. Wealth, technological prowess, and power of many nations and governments differ significantly such that the differences themselves are the cause for conflict. Remember, organisms in nature find a niche in the environment and use their "tools" to their advantage. Same goes for humans. This is why many corporate executives are outsourcing A LOT of high tech jobs to India, China, Taiwan, etc... because those companies can reap the PROFITS from lower paid workers. In effect, one nation is taking advantage of another nation's population to do the "grunt work" of certain industries. Very short-sighted in my opinion; CNN has an articles about this here:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/07/14/moves.offshore.ap/index.html

3. As long as these gradients exist, there will be conflict. When the human race begins to coalesce and become more homogenious, then these differences will become less apparent, and less conflict will lead to less conflict and war.

4. The first equilibrium that we are experiencing will be in economics. Jobs and labor are shifting all over the world. When the labor costs equilibrate, hence, there will no longer be cheaper or cheapest labor market, then economic differences will dissapate. After that happens, the cultural and technological prowess too will equilibrate. Everyone will more or less be "even" on the economic, cultural, and social scales. There may be slight differrences still, but we will all tolerate one another much better.

5. There will always be some perceived gradient of injustice in the population, i.e., "the haves" and "the have nots". And I believe that eventually this will be due to psychological (genetic) differences in the population. There exist people who are full of energy and motivation, and others who are slower. This is likely a matter of genetics or circumstance (traumatic injury) and cannot be helped, but that's life, we all have certain talents and gifts, it's up to us to find out what they are and live the lives we're intended to live.

As for God being bored with his/her creation, I don't think so, s/he's having too much fun participating in everything in the universe.

Einstein once said "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings". Right on Al, you tell em!

Seriously though, I'm now and have always been a subscriber to Spinoza's God. Read more about Einstein's view of God here: http://www.skeptic.com/archives50.html

Originally posted by habilis
Einstein once said "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings". Right on Al, you tell em!

Seriously though, I'm now and have always been a subscriber to Spinoza's God. Read more about Einstein's view of God here: http://www.skeptic.com/archives50.html

Do you think he knows the answer now?

(sorry if that sounded rude: it just I feel as human beings we are all wrong about God. I believe no one will ever be right. IMHO the religions of the world are not correct...only the one YOU believe in MAY be closer to the truth .. but I'll stick to my belief [religion] and you should be aloud to believe in what you want but do not force it upon others)

How will the religious people of this planet react if life (bacterial) whether fossilized or living is found elswhere?

Originally posted by Satcomer
...I feel as human beings we are all wrong about God. I believe no one will ever be right. IMHO the religions of the world are not correct...only the one YOU believe in MAY be closer to the truth .. but I'll stick to my belief [religion] and you should be aloud to believe in what you want but do not force it upon others

Amen Brother

Originally posted by Perseus
How will the religious people of this planet react if life (bacterial) whether fossilized or living is found elswhere?
Easy. It will be dismissed as one of their Gods creations, just that it's existance was improperly translated in the holy documents pertaining to their religion.

NASA already found microbes on a meteorite and the catholic church already dismissed it as such.

To think that we stupid immature homo sapiens are "it" in the entire universe is the ulimate expression of interstellar human earthnocentristic arrogance.

Don't be an egocentric earthnocentrist. Like that word? I just made it up.

Of all the religious ... stuff that i had to study at school, only because my mother had decided so (the first thing i did the day i was 18 was go to the church registries and to un-sign me off there!) .. the thing that disturbed me the most, among all those 20000 gazillion questions i had as a kid and that the adult could not answer (they sounded like kids compared to me!) - is that nobody ever gave a satisfying answer: If god created the world and everything that exists, who created him/her or how did he/she begin?

"He always has existed" is not a satisfactory answer.

Okay, time for the Jewish kid to insert the Jewish joke that explains everything.

Moishe had lived his life to the fullest, and finally his time came and he went to Heaven. When he got there, he met God and God asked him if he had any questions.

Moishe said, "Well I've lived my life to the best it can be, but there are a few things I'd like to know. What is the worth of a million dollars in Heaven?"

God said, "A single penny."

"And what is the worth of a million years in Heaven?"

God replied, "A single second."

Moishe then asked, "In that case, may I have a penny?"

And God said, "Would you wait a second?"

lol
that means that we just all made a penny for a second.
wait a second (lol), how was that a jewish joke (besides having the obviously jewish name of moishe)?????
meh, it was funny!

funny

To live eternally, forever, in a paradise, and have whatever you want sounds like Hell to me.

There was a Twilight Zone episode about that one time. This gambler in Vegas started winning all his hands, every roll of the dice, every card game, he was winning them all, and reaping all the money, and then he had all the girls, and cars, and whatever he wanted, but alas, he soon realized that he was actually dead. A man in a suit appears and the gambler is all upset at him that heaven turned out so wierd, but in a callm soothing voice the man assures the gambler that "this isn't heaven sir, it's Hell." ;)

The sweet is sweeter with the sour, there can't be pleasure if there's no pain.

Heaven just needs a few updates, patches, mods, bug fixes, and tweeks and it would be really really cool. In fact it would look exactly like my life is now. What I mean is, this is heaven right now, the fact that you even came into existance and can think is astronomical, a 1 in a trillion chance. This is probably gonna be it boys and girls, enjoy it while you can. Woody Allen said it best when he said "We don't know if there's a God, but we do know there's women."

habilis,

How do we know we're not in Heaven now? As you said, we can't have pleasure without pain.

In fact I went to bed last night thinking about this thread. If God created the universe, and God is all knowing, is the universe an extension of God's mind? Are we (life forms) nothing more than complicated molecular programs running inside God's head? An idea with a finite fleeting existence that fades away or is transformed into some other entity?

Chem: yeah, kinda like the Universe within a Universe theory; if you look at space, everything follows a pattern, guided by the rules of physics.

The moon orbits the Earth,
the Earth orbits the sun
the sun orbits our galactice core, the Milky Way
the Milky Way orbits a huge supercluster of other galaxies

It might follow that our universe itself is in the shape of a bubble and orbits something else. There may be many bubble universes outside our own bubble, all behaving like stars. Maybe all these bubbles mass together and orbit something huge that looks like a spiral galaxy. Maybe that's the way we'll eventally learn to escape the inevitable death of our universe, is by breaking through the walls of our "bubble" into the next one.

I don't neccessarily subscibe to this theory, but anything's possible.

But all that is, academic, because we're so busy on this little planet killing each other in the name of fanciful deities that we don't have time to waste thinking about these ideas, we're just too busy.

Back