Gonna start a revolution from my smile

easterhay

little green rosetta
I must get this off my chest....we are Mac people, and as such we are aesthetes, as concerned with the visual merits of our gadgets as the technological.

So what's with the smilies?
I know their purpose and I agree they are invaluable in eliminating the inevitable ambiguity of the hastily written word, but they just come across as the visual equivalent of a Crazy Frog ringtone.
Can't we have some new, MacOsX-esque smilies? After all, if this were a bricks-and-mortar temple to Mac, would the pews be made of chipboard?

And if the smiley designer is a member of the forum, please don't be offended - I couldn't create a smiley if my life depended on it. It's just my soul yearns for change. Brushed aluminium frown? Graphite wink? Aqua cheesy grin?

Or perhaps I'm alone in this?

Or something akin to this:

logo_mac.gif

But at a much smaller scale of course, and without the text. :D (Woops...darned smilies!)

Actually, the smileys that are on the board now are the default that are provided with the forum if I'm not mistaken

Now you're talking. That's a smiley I would have no problems using.

And yes, I admit, it was a struggle not to use smilies in my original post

I've seen other forums with the same software. I think the only one unique to this board is the Apple-shaped smiley :))).

The Mac OS logo does seem like an obvious choice. And since it's been a standard icon for quite some time, there's no shortage of 16x16 versions. Like this one, from OS 8:

Attachments

• macoslogo.gif
    macoslogo.gif
    129 bytes · Views: 58
That would actually be perfect. It would complement the apple smiley that we've seen on here. Maybe I can find a Sad Mac face for the sad smiley. :)

Yeah, the only official "Sad Mac" icons are too big — 32x32 at least, I think. I could be wrong, though. I'd have to dig through some OS 8 resources to be sure, but I think the sad Mac was only used on the startup screen, so there wouldn't have been a reason for a 16x16 icon.

If the smiley face should be the Mac OS logo, shouldn't the frowny face be the attached pic? :p

Attachments

• windowslogo.gif
    windowslogo.gif
    125 bytes · Views: 54
Easterhay, you really should come along to SmileyCon 2006. Experts agree that smileys are the way of the future and that within 10 years will make up more than half of our communication. With a smiley for every application, there would be no need for words at all. Food packaging, road signs, and instruction manuals will all be improved by this new wave in communication.

:)

I like the text ones. You know. No graphics. Just smileys. :'s and )'s mostly.

symphonix said:
Easterhay, you really should come along to SmileyCon 2006. Experts agree that smileys are the way of the future and that within 10 years will make up more than half of our communication. With a smiley for every application, there would be no need for words at all. Food packaging, road signs, and instruction manuals will all be improved by this new wave in communication.

:)

What's the smiley for "AAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!*&^"?

easterhay said:
What's the smiley for "AAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!*&^"?
>:-0

I agree with Fryke, actually. If the icons disappeared completely, I wouldn't miss them one bit.

picture8.png

i just knocked these up. tell me what you think. i kept them as close to being type based as possible, and use a subtle aqua effect.

I like the new angles (up for smiley, down for grumpy) and a radical improvement on what is currently available. But I think I still side with fryke - punctuation-based is best. Or perhaps a radically different approach is needed.
Sorry for pooh-pooing your creations, Lt Maj Burns. Methinks I should put forward some alternatives of my own!

Oh, and as if by magic: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4984138.stm

Nahhh - some Frenchman claiming credit? Everyone knows it was Forrest Gump who invented the smiley face!

Perhaps Walmart should only be allowed to trademark it if it's still got a .357 Magnum round embedded in it.

EDIT: I accept that latter comment might get edited out, but submit it, nonetheless, to the scrutiny of the mods.

i like the smilies burns. and as far as tming the yellow face, the us paten office needs to laugh everyone out. there are somethings that shouldn't be owned by one person or group.

Howsabout these suggestions:

Mac smiley:
bowdown.gif

PC smiley:
wallbash.gif
or
pukeface.gif

OS X smiley:
cool.gif

Windoze smiley:
laugh.gif
or