Gonna start a revolution from my smile

i hate smileys. they're pictures for idiots. the basic set of 8(?) are fine, but more advanced ones just piss me off.

OK, that's either a birdie or.......maybe I'll stop letting my imagination run away with me. :p (see? no pic! :p DoH!)

I actually prefer to mark gestures/expressions with asterisks. Like *shrug*, or *rolls eyes* (although I realize the grammatical inconsistency in those examples). Especially since the "roll eyes" smiley doesn't look very clear. The point of smilies is to make your intention more clear, not less. :rolleyes: <- What does that mean?

2.gif

I've always thought that a well-placed smiley can convey a great deal.
1.gif

:D

I think that screen resolutions and graphics capabilities are advanced enough to handle actual pictures of human faces, no? Just someone find some stereotypical-looking facials of moods and maybe even animate some of them. That would be cool... it would go nicely with the whole "talking Mac" aura.

Like... whoever this guy is.
sheadicon3ed.gif

Lt Major Burns said:
i bloody hate crap smileys.

thse are, without a doubt, the worst:
gotsmileyclick.jpg

Indeed. In the unlikely event that anyone can find more hideous examples, I promise never to smile again.

Though it clearly takes a quite extraordinary talent to transform the human smile into something so naff. It's the facial equivalent of a turd falling into my drink.

Here's hoping smilies go the way of this thread. And the dodo.

I don't wanna link directly to it because I don't know what their policy is, but the forum for the band Lemon Jelly Googled here is really stylish, has not a graphic smiley in sight, and everyone seems to understand each other perfectly.

Whereas the Limewire forum, a temple to smilies and wildly formatted text, seems to be a hotbed of acrimony.

Anyway...there must be a million more important things for me to lobby against than innocent, friendly, well-meaning, irritating kitsch.

Back