Good audio application for cleaning up old music records ??

Wafa

Registered
I would very much appreciate some recommendations for some OS X audio applications for cleaning up music tracks. I am particularly interested in improving quality of sound and removing different types of distortion from old vinyl records and tapes.

Any advise is welcome.

Take a look at Toast, by Roxio. Toast is a cd burning program, but ad says that Toast will clean up scratches from vinyl.

I haven't used it myself, although all comments I have read have been very positive.

Doug

How does one actually connect a record player to the computer in the first place? My parents have old LPs that they would like converted to CDs and have asked me if I could do it for them. I know that the market for inexpensive consumer soundcards with Mac drivers is very small, so are there any alternative solutions which would do the job with minimal cost?

tia.

If the record player has audio-out (RCA Jacks), and your Mac at least has USB - get:
Y Audio Adaptor - RCA to Stereo Mini-Jack (I think?)
Griffin iMic.

That should get your input from the LP Player to your computer. Then use Roxio or some other app to capture the audio. Further I don't really know as my experience pretty much ends there (and I've only done it on the Windows side).

HTH FWIW

Ah perfect, thanks. It's an old record player/hi fi system so I'll have to make sure it has the right connectors.

Ahhh wait a minute guys... whatever you do don't try to plug a turntable into a computer, the turntable isn't grounded! Make sure you use an amp. I know Sonic Foundry makes software that cleans up records (clicks & pops)--but that's PC :(

Originally posted by MacLuv
Ahhh wait a minute guys... whatever you do don't try to plug a turntable into a computer, the turntable isn't grounded! Make sure you use an amp. I know Sonic Foundry makes software that cleans up records (clicks & pops)--but that's PC :(

If the turntable was connected through the HiFi and I was using audio out jacks on the HiFi, that would be okay wouldn't it?

Yeah that's fine as long as you ground the turntable (you'd get a loud hum if you didn't anyway). Good luck!

:)

The problem is not to ground the turn table, but to amplify the signal ! The turn table signal is very week and its frequency spectrum must be corrected. The Phono input of any amplifier will do it.

So connect the turn table to the phono input, and the Mac to the "Rec out" or "Monitor out". This line is preamplified and filtered to a normalized level (usually +- 1 V or +- 2 V). This level can be input in the mike input of the Mac (for old macs).

Griffin (makes iMic USB audio adapter) has software called FinalVinyl. You can download this, it is supposed to equalize the Phono signal through software, I don't know how well it works, but I have a future project to try it out. Supposedly allows you to cannect a turntable directly to the iMic. I don't know if FinalVinyl does any sound cleanup, Anyone used it here? Your setup probably does not need the equalize function because your old HiFi would already take care of that. You may get along fine with Toast and an iMic adapter! :)

Thanks for the extra info guys.

I've just been chatting with a friend and he said that a simple cable connecting the headphone jack on the HiFi to the mic port on the Mac would suffice and there would be no benefit from using the USB port since the audio being captured is analogue in the first place. Sounds logical...

I plan to do all of this next month on a soon to be purchased iBook, so I'll have to check to see whether they have a mic port - if not then I'll get the Griffin iMic.

Hey guys the discussion is turning to different subject on how to connect a turntable to a Mac. Well please I still waiting for some tips on my original question on what software one can use to cleanup and removal of various distortions in old music tracks. Please try to help me on this subject, thanks.

Originally posted by chevy
they are suggestions on the above mentionned web site.

I am more interested in dedicated software rather than hardware; I did have a brief look at FinalVinyl mentioned above and it seems it has not many capabilities for removing distortions and alike. More over FinalVinyl is a recording software + an equalizer and works only with Griffin hardware.

I have already all my old music tracks on my HD, and I need something like Ray Gun from Aboretum Systems, unfortunately, Ray Gun is only running on OS 9.0. Aboretum is however planning a release for OS X in the "near future"; I need one NOW.

Spark XL is not exactly what you need (it's very professional and complete, just as Peak from Bias).

I recommend Audacity too. It'll make the job. A small program called Amadeus was good too, if I recall well.

Back