Good Bye eMac?

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
I went to apple.com today and noticed that the emac is no longer on the store site. even clicking on the buy now button from the hardware section takes you to a store w/out emacs. when and where did they go?

btw, i couldn't search for the answer here because search is missing during the upgrades, and google site search didn't seem to bring anything up.

eMacs have been removed from general availability but are still available to educators. Apple has moved back to their original approach for that machine. I have no idea why or what will happen next!:(

That's not good. The only real alternative in Apple's lineup is the Mac mini, and as much as I love my Mini, it's a terrible option for a new user. New users should not be left on their own when it comes to vital components like a monitor, keyboard and mouse (especially the monitor; finding a good one is a bloody nightmare).

I hope Apple has a real replacement up their sleeves. And I hope they release it soon.

Mikuro said:
That's not good. The only real alternative in Apple's lineup is the Mac mini, and as much as I love my Mini, it's a terrible option for a new user. New users should not be left on their own when it comes to vital components like a monitor, keyboard and mouse (especially the monitor; finding a good one is a bloody nightmare).

I hope Apple has a real replacement up their sleeves. And I hope they release it soon.

Most new users wouldn't be purchasing the mac mini on-line so they would likely have some in store help and are not likely to buy 3rd party products.

or

if they are a new user who is switching from a PC, they might realize before or after the purchase that the monitor/keyboard/mouse are missing and even use what they had from their pc.

not all that big of a deal

JetwingX said:
Most new users wouldn't be purchasing the mac mini on-line so they would likely have some in store help and are not likely to buy 3rd party products.

I don't agree. If they're going to go the mini-route, they're surely not going to then spend $1200 on a decent Apple display. Using their existing Bone-coloured PC monitor is the most likely, and that does a Mac no justice at all.

I'm with Mikuro on this one.

Still, the eMac really does need an extreme makeover, so perhaps apple will announce a new eMac (or equivallent new model) at the upcoming conference in a few weeks.

i have always liked my macs with a little more punch, hence my getting a G5 tower, so i have never understood the fascination with the eMacs. can't the mini do all the eMacs can? my girlfriend has one and she can do some processor intensive stuff, albeit a little more slowly than my machine.

If you look through the history of the eMac it was released as an education version of the iMac. With the switch to LCD based iMacs, Apple filled a little void with eMac on the consumer side. With users being more comfortable and thr price of LCD iMacs dropping is it really a surprise that the eMac was relegated back to the education market?

No, not really. And the education market is still the one market where you want screens to be able to take a punch and the computers to be a bit on the heavier side in order to make them more difficult to "lift".

limike28 is correct--almost. The first generation iMac integrated the CPU with the CRT display in an AIO case. This proved a most appropriate design for educational institutions. With the second generation iMac, Apple switched to a LCD display. The problem was not the LCD, but the fact that it was mounted on the famous articulated swiveling lampshade support. It was a brilliant design, but school computer lab managers feared that the new form factor would not hold up to the terror that is the seventh grade. Apple responded with the eMac which was a minor upgrade to the first generation iMac form factor. With the third generation iMac, the iMac G5, Apple developed a new non-articulated design with an LCD display. It is probably more durable than even the original iMac. With the iMac G5 in its catalog, Apple no longer has a reason to produce the eMac.

And the eMac is heavy too... believe me

The 1.42ghz eMac I have just works so well with Tiger, I love it. I'm glad I got it when I did, because now it would be used eMacs sold to the public via eBay or any other selling method and buying a second hand machine is always risk

I personally will miss the eMacs. They were great all in one machines. For the cost of a top of the line Mac Mini, you could have gotten a eMac with the same/similar specs but also had a crisp monitor, good speakers, ect. It was the idealistic switcher and everyday home user computer. Now we have to pay the same for a smaller computer with no screen, speakers, anything. Its just a canned tower one could say.

Mikuro said:

From someone who had to support (and carry) and fix (open and close) eMacs, I won't miss 'em. I'm sure some model with an LCD is forthcoming. When the Intel Macs hit the channel, we'll most likely wonder how Apple kept the eMac in the lineup for as long as it did...

For one thing, even though those macs are not that slow for G4s, they are plain ugly. The crt (which goes to 140hz) has the worst color, contrast and sharpness i have ever seen on a crt. The lcd's are nice though.

I agree with the cheese, the emacs have the most brilliant color displays, and for someone on a limited budget like me, the emac was the way to go(before the mac mini was released). Not to mention CRTs have much higher refresh rates than lcds. On muh emac, you dont get that "ghost effect" when resizing or moving around windows, unlike muh brother's powerbook. It handles everything i throw at it. I'm suprised it can't handle my laundry *yet*.

the emac is what ive always been drooling over (and now very satisfied with) since the imac g3s. A g4 with a larger crt and higher clockspeed. Not to mention the tilt and swivel stand sure is great.

And no, i dont believe the screens have changed since the emac was first introduced, always has been 1280x960 since the first emac.

changed as in different supplier, i think he means.

CRTs have their advantages.

however, the ghosting effect is not present on high-end desktop lcds like the apple cinema range, for example.

could apple get cheaper 17" crts somewhere else? possibly. i thought if he meant there were any advancements with the display itself, which there isn't. Sure, they might be able to get it cheaper, but they also save a little bit of money if they sell it to education only. some sort of tax cut i believe.

And yes, on the high end lcds less ghost effect, but not on any portables apple is selling, they have the ghost effect. the emacs' display have no ghost effect and are superb with graphics just like any other mac is, not to mention about 10 times cheaper.

Save the eMac from education!

look what i started. lol, oh well. i almost did buy an emac once, but then had to spend the money on something i needed. buy the time i was close to haveing the money again, the minis were out. so while compareing the two, i found a guy with a da/466 for the same price, but with some upgrades. i had a moniter already, and he was thowing in a mouse and keyboard, so i got it, and have loved it. its sooo much more upgradeable then either the emac or mini, so i figured (>hoped<) it would would have a longer lifespan. but if i hadn't found this tower, i would of gotten the emac new or g4imac used. so i sometimes goto apple's site and see what the emacs are up to. and that was what i was doing when i noticed that you can't seem to buy them anymore.
next question, do you think apple will ever put a crt and g5 cpu into the same mac/case?

Back