GOODBYE CLASSIC! (Yessssssss!!!!!!)

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Sorry for starting another thread on Mac OS X 10.1.3, but I have to. Why?

I WILL NO LONGER BE USING CLASSIC ON A REGULAR BASIS! And.. I WILL NO LONGER BE USING OUTLOOK EXPRESS!

I HAVE FOUR WORDS FOR YOU:

DEEEEAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTHHHHHHHH
TOOOOOOOO
YYYYYYYOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU
CLAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSICCCCCCCCC..

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, sorry about that bout with Ballmeritis. Now that I won't be using Outlook Express, I don't think that will ever happen again!

Oooh. It feels so good to know that I will probably not be using Classic that much again (I'm installing it right now, so it's still possible that the SSL support for Mail.app won't be adequate, but I'm betting that it will be).

Whee! I hope some of you will be doing the same thing soon.

Glad to head you finally were able to heave ho OE 5.

I've got one lone hold out now that I need to use on a daily basis - Dreamweaver. I also need Flash, but I use that about once a week -Dreamweaver gets used every day.

So I still need to launch Classic everyday for Dreamweaver, but it's nice to be mostly out of Classic.

Come on Macromedia!

Do ANY of you know how gratifying it is to see a Microsoft application AND a Classic application go bye-bye in a puff of smoke? (Literally.) Now I understand why Apple put that Dock poof in -- although it would've been nice to see it blow up. :D

I AM SO GLAD that Apple finally put SSL support in! Now I can get all of my e-mail with Mail.app! I really can not express how happy I am! YAY APPLE!

Hello!

Congratulations! Me, I am not quite ready to give Classic up. I may never be ready. What I will probably do is have classic on one of my computers and run old apps off of that since I use alot of old applications that I am pretty sure will never get themselves ported. I am glad that you are able to get rid of it though!

Have a great day!

Albert

Still into Classic sometimes for Flash... but I am going to ditch it and go LiveMotion.

I SWEAR IT! YOU HEAR ME MACROMEDIA?!!?!?!?!?!?!

:eek:

Freaking out.

Sorry.

I do loathe classic so.

well, it wasn't the Classic emulation environment that made us love Macs, wasn't it. It was System 6 or System 7, it was hardware or Mac OS 8 or 9. Classic was always only a 'help' in making the transition to X.

Hello!

I think the reason we liked classic so much in the days before OS X is that it was the alternative to Windows and comparing it to a Windows OS it was the greatest. Now that Apple has released OS X we see all the eye candy and all the features and POWER but now Classic seems like an antique. Now Classic bogs us down when we would rather be using the more powerfull of the OS's. When apple releases a new and better OS we will be the same towards OS X.

That is what I think. Have a great day!

Albert

Originally posted by rinse
Still into Classic sometimes for Flash... but I am going to ditch it and go LiveMotion.

I SWEAR IT! YOU HEAR ME MACROMEDIA?!!?!?!?!?!?!

:eek:

Freaking out.

Sorry.

I do loathe classic so.

Oh man, I can't wait for LiveMotion 2! Version 1 was a great authoring environment, but since all Flash projects I do heavily rely on ActionScript and the functions implemented with Flash 5, I had to stick with the poor GUI of Flash 5. I have seen Flash 6 in a demonstration a week ago in Berlin, it looks promising and has some nice new features when you run it on a server with the new Generator technology (which will vary from the current, discontinued Generator). But I think since we have to wait at least half a year until we can put commercial Flash 6 sites online (due to the lack of Flash 6 enabled browsers, most visitors tend to close the site instead of downloading a new plugin) I will use LiveMotion 2! Regardless of how good Flash MX will be, I have preordered LM 2 and I can't wait till it is here!

Then again, I also can't wait for Flash MX, hopefully, the improved the authoring environment...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
So I still need to launch Classic everyday for Dreamweaver,

Ditch dreamweaver - go for golive!

The latest Adobe products kick butt, and they seem to be taking Mac OS X a lot more seriously than Macromedia. I think Adobe stand to gain a lot of mac market share over this OS transition.

Bernie :eek:)

He doesn't like GoLive.

Seriously, I can't understand why Macromedia has been so lazy with porting to OS X! OK, the initial idea of Apple failed, they thought companies would port their existing version over to OS X instead of waiting for the next release. Some did it (Maxon), most didn't.

But since most Mac users can't wait to ditch Classic and OS 9, I really can't understand why companies like Macromedia and Quark (or the company which makes Quark) don't port the stuff. I know more than one Mac user who switched f.e. from Dreamweaver to GoLive, or, like me, is now switching from Flash 5 to LiveMotion 2, from Quark to Indesign 2 etc. etc.

You said 10.1.3?? How did you get it? Why I don´t have it? :(

It´s really a pitty that Macromedia has only released only FreeHand for OS X. I need Dreamweaver very badly. I was thinking about installing GoLive, but I still can´t get it.

I see two reasons why you don't have 10.1.3

You haven't used Software Update since yesterday

or, if you have and it couldn't connect, you haven't visited Versiontracker.com today.

That's how to get 10.1.3

Or just visit Apple.com directly

Hey simX, 10.1.3 makes your avatar a collector's item. When I click and hold (or option-click) on the Finder Dock icon all I get is "Application Not Responding". Can you confirm? That's my only gripe with 10.1.3.

Still does the "No Windows" thing for me. Force quit and relaunch the Finder and/or Dock and it will clear up.

Originally posted by cybergoober
Hey simX, 10.1.3 makes your avatar a collector's item. When I click and hold (or option-click) on the Finder Dock icon all I get is "Application Not Responding". Can you confirm? That's my only gripe with 10.1.3.

Mine still says "No Windows" under 10.1.3.

And I think you mean Control-click to get the list of menu options, right? Option click doesn't do anything different for me.

Meant control-click.
Logged out, force-quit Finder, killed Dock still said Application Not Responding. Then for no apparent reason it went back to No Windows.
Weird…

...that happens because OS X Finder isn't multithreaded very well, if it was you should never get that. It works on other "stalling" programs as well, like Internet Explorer looking up hosts - you get that stalled feeling but can still switch to other apps.

heh i just tried that, first it showed Application Not Responding, and now a couple seconds later it shows No windows.

wierd eh?

Back