Google Earth is now available for Mac!

norrina

Registered
WooHoo.

I don't know if this is the right forum for this; if it isn't, could a mod move it? Does this forum support that? I didn't notice the announcement in any other forums, did a search and everything, but if it is a duplicate, feel free to delete.

Anyhow, as the topic indicated, Google Earth has, as of January 10, 2006, FINALLY put out Google Earth for Mac. My old G3 won't support it (runs on OS X 10.4 and up only), but as soon as my Powerbook gets here in a couple days (yes, I know the new Macbook Pro was announced yesterday, I ordered my refurb after the announcement and gave the order due consideration:) ) I'll let y'all know what I think. :D

I got it running on a 500MHz G4 machine, and I must say it runs surprisingly well for this pokey old machine... the zooming from one side of a continent to the other isn't the smoothest thing in the world, but it works decently well!

Damn I love Google.

Works great. Now I'll be able to see who's letting their dog use my lawn as a toilet :)

This the same Google Earth that doesn't show any details for Europe other than the U.K.? Or did they fix that? It's been a while since I last used it.
Nevermind...I'll download and see for myself.

iball said:
This the same Google Earth that doesn't show any details for Europe other than the U.K.? Or did they fix that? It's been a while since I last used it.
Wha? You didn't hear? The US is the Earth! Who cares about everyone else!

:p

I always liked the way The Register would make fun of it...like there was a Google/Bush conspiracy to "eliminate" Europe.

EDIT: Dear Google, when most people think of "Frankfurt, Germany" they do NOT mean "Frankfurt an Oder" on the border of Poland. They mean the one with the huge airport and world-famous bar district.

I didn't even realize there WAS a version on the net until I called my brother to tell him about the download and he said that's what he had been using. I mainly use Google Earth at work (no, really, FOR work, legitimately), and we have Windows, so I haven't really NEEDED Google Earth for Mac, but I will definitely download it.

Not touching the Europe thing.

Can't get it to launch on my 500MHz G4 iForced BondiMac w/Xpostfacto and 10.4. Is this cause I only have 6MB VRAM (no QE.)? Wah! Goo-goo!

Oops, thanks Fryke. But it won't even launch, so I wonder what the system requirements are, beyond 10.4. Oh, well...

iball said:
I always liked the way The Register would make fun of it...like there was a Google/Bush conspiracy to "eliminate" Europe.

EDIT: Dear Google, when most people think of "Frankfurt, Germany" they do NOT mean "Frankfurt an Oder" on the border of Poland. They mean the one with the huge airport and world-famous bar district.

USA is also of varying resolution... and some not so small cities are also quite badly represented.

andychrist said:
Oops, thanks Fryke. But it won't even launch, so I wonder what the system requirements are, beyond 10.4. Oh, well...

What machine do you have ?

As an aussie it's quite revealing how much of the continent I live on is available only in relatively low res while I can see my brother's college pals playing basketball in Boston.

Still, it doesn't take away - much - from a fantastic tool.

I think that, at least to some degree, the resolution is going to vary depending on city size both within and outside the U.S.

The city of 70k+ that I live in shows up with pretty good detail. The city of 800 that I grew up in, I see blurry green things that I think are supposed to be trees.

Check Moorpark, California... very poor resolution, just between two cities with high resolution.

Yeah, the low resolution stuff really isn't something that Google can correct -- Google's map system is simply a compendium of satellite photography from various sources. Some areas of the Earth just haven't been photographed in high resolution (like ANYwhere outside of the US!). ;)

Been photographed in high res alright, but not available for free, probably. :) chevy: He said it was an iMac G3 upgraded with a G4 card. It's certainly rather on the low-end, and I truly think GoogleEarth wants a graphics card better with 3D.

Back